Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How has the War Mage Fared?

Howdy, fellow sorceresses!

I'm an old player who hasn't played since the level 60 cap update (ages ago, I know!)

I was hoping you might tell me how War Mages have fared? The class tended to drop in and out of the meta frequently back when I played. Are the lasers still nice? Were the EX skills after Force Mirror EX any good? Also, could anyone inform me about "awakened" skills? I'm a bit confused.

Thanks!
    AuroraStar | War Mage

This class is very good at Lv93, the new active [Laser Ray] gives WMs the ability to "maintain" high dps on humanoid-sized boss models, considering the mechanics of LC. 9TL now has a CTC mechanic which stacks up to 3 and it can even give you close to Max bubbles on a single use depending on how many of the hits you're able to land. The FF passive, reduces the downtime of your rotations to very low levels and the awakening passive for Beam Tempest helps to fill in any gap you might have in your rotations (works similar to Gravity Crush/Chaos Formation EX).

Laser Energy = specific skills now cost bubbles which can be used to disregard its cd.
    Last edited by Aquamarine; 09-29-2016, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• Relora
      Relora commented
      Editing a comment
      I am so glad to hear that! I really need to get playing immediately

The awakening skills are ok. I don't really like the amount of bubbles lc awakening uses. Spec ray feels a little out of place.
    Experimenting some stuff
    Last edited by Snobu; 09-30-2016, 12:38 AM.
    Snobu - Smasher aka War Mage
    Nico - Destroyer

Someone will always ruin something for others...
    PVE War Mage Guide

Comment

I'm trying to get up to date on nerfs and buffs to various mystic and smasher skills.

Can anyone confirm the following: gravity trap was nerfed to the dirt, TS is near useless in pvp, FF is a self-buff only? etc.

I haven't played since T3 (maybe beginning of T4?) and I'm looking up things and I'm seeing changes that are a bit overwhelming.
      AuroraStar | War Mage

Comment

Originally posted by Relora View Post
        I'm trying to get up to date on nerfs and buffs to various mystic and smasher skills.

Can anyone confirm the following: gravity trap was nerfed to the dirt, TS is near useless in pvp, FF is a self-buff only? etc.

I haven't played since T3 (maybe beginning of T4?) and I'm looking up things and I'm seeing changes that are a bit overwhelming.
        Gravity Trap hasn't been used since t3, Time Stop is still incredibly strong in pvp but of course pointless to cast in pve, and FF is a self only buff but war mage gets a huge cooldown reduction passive with their awakening so its always worth getting.
        http://image.prntscr.com/image/65551e74c5214239a9129ec76c6e2973.png

Comment

Originally posted by Echelos View Post

Gravity Trap hasn't been used since t3, Time Stop is still incredibly strong in pvp but of course pointless to cast in pve, and FF is a self only buff but war mage gets a huge cooldown reduction passive with their awakening so its always worth getting.
          Aww I'm going to miss gravity trap. I just got on yesterday and man I have so much to adjust to(both in game and control-wise because I haven't PC gamed in a long time). Thank you!!!
          AuroraStar | War Mage

Comment

Oh, sorry for the double post, but one more thing: why is the laser cutter awakening considered to be so bad and what makes it bad? I'm a little confused by awakening skills and I'm having trouble understanding them.
            AuroraStar | War Mage

Comment

• Snobu
              Snobu commented
              Editing a comment
              LC awakening is considered bad because of the amount of bubbles it requires to use when the bubbles can be better used on other skills. So dont get it. The other awakening skills and passives are really good to have, must haves

And to your other post, you should have enough extra points for gravity trap if you like it that much, if you're pure wm build

Gravity Trap hasn't been used since t3
            A lot of mystics at 90 cap used it in PVP (even at Lv6) They're only dropping it now because of the 15% slow cap on skills

Comment

Even before the nerf to slows in pvp I never found gravity trap significant because of the size of the aoe. especially from 90 cap on when glacial spike applied the same amount of slow for 5 seconds on a 7 second cooldown.

Comment

[QUOTE=Relora;n10618]

TS is near useless in pvp/QUOTE]
                Wat
                Gravity trap was mainly more on preference of playstyle.
                Would be useful to throw out randomly for zoning purposes against acros, etc.

Comment

• Relora
                  Relora commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I haven't played in 3 years and had to go with what I heard through the grapevine until I downloaded the game (which was after I made the comment).

• Caramel
                  Caramel commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Where did you hear that from tho omg

Even before the nerf to slows in pvp I never found gravity trap significant because of the size of the aoe. especially from 90 cap on when glacial spike applied the same amount of slow for 5 seconds on a 7 second cooldown.
                The aoe size is decent at Lv6 which is where most people who got it left it at. Besides, SP was quite abundant last cap so it may have been one of the best sp dumps lol

Comment

aoe increase still wasn't a lot, and with the amount of extra sp we had i was able to max both linear ray and ninetail as a cm which i found more useful. im not going to say people didn't use it at all, but it was one of the least significant cc skills we had. its best use was to throw it down after you have someone inside of a toxic spray + triple orbs combo which by that point it was mostly just overkill lol.

Comment

aoe increase still wasn't a lot, and with the amount of extra sp we had i was able to max both linear ray and ninetail as a cm which i found more useful. im not going to say people didn't use it at all, but it was one of the least significant cc skills we had. its best use was to throw it down after you have someone inside of a toxic spray + triple orbs combo which by that point it was mostly just overkill lol.
                    I'd say its use was more for zoning outside of combo than using it while they were in toxic spray butImeanIguess.

Comment

Have yet to see one mystic use it well in 1v1. Regardless of your opinion.

Comment

War mage at first glance (pvp wise) compared to 90 cap has gotten some "nerfs," but once you compare the overall lower hp/dmg, its not as far off as one would think. Arcane overdrive went from 31% dmg boost down to 8%, but the addition of awkaned 9tL & Laser Ray makes up for that 10 fold. i had some issues adjusting into 93 cap pvp (as I strictly soft banned myself) but now it doesn't feel as far off as I initially presumed. 90 cap War Mage was a very sweet spot for me, not for spectrum's insane damage, but being able to play like an old school mystic and not rely on spectrum for my damage. But I'll stop rambling, yes, War Mage is nice this cap so far. Pm me with any questions if you're curious~

Comment

Working...
                        X