Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lunar Knight Guide II

Artwork by BobaRainSenHime-chan

Hi, I am Hekaiyo (Pocator/Argenta in-game) and I am a veteran Lunar Knight. I have cleared Dark Banquet as a LK, am currently rank #1 overall in 1v1 Ladder, and have played for several months in cDN and tDN. This guide will give you the basics of how Lunar Knights play in 93cap, and what to expect and look out for.

Lv93 cap and the advent of Awakening skills have caused Lunar Knights to have a major paradigm shift in gameplay. Because of this, and the multiple outdated sections in my old guide, I have decided to re-write this guide from scratch. I have archived the old guide, and it can still be found here.

Overview:

Come 93cap, Lunar Knights are once again top-tier DPS. They can guarantee a high, consistent DPS along with a sizable burst for DPS checks, and constant CritRes and Damage debuffs to boot. Currently, Lunar Knight gameplay revolves around using your skills in as efficient a way as possible. There are so many abilities worth using that you should never have nothing to do; in fact, often times you will be overwhelmed by the sheer number of attacks you need to get out. Thus, action speed buffs and animation cancels will be your best friend.

Lv93 New Changes:

Lunar Knights are quite different in 93cap. The most noticeable change is the replacement of the old 1.4:1 MAtk:Int passive with a +50% Int bubbles system. This is in essence a nerf to our field damage range, but skill percentages have been buffed across the board, evening it out. In particular, Half Moon Slash and Cyclone have become very strong. This change also means we no longer instantly cap in raids, meaning our damage can be buffed much more in parties.

The Awakenings are very useful, and core to your new playstyle. Smash X hits like several trucks, and the passives all add a lot of utility and damage. As such, Moon Blade Dance is no longer 50% of your dps; the spread is much more balanced between Smash X, Half Moon Slash, Cyclone, and Moon Blade Dance. Your skill rotations and priorities will have to adapt to these new abilities in order to maximize your dps.

Skill Build and Breakdown

This will only be a skeleton build, with only skills I consider absolutely necessary. As long as you have at least this, you can't really screw up too hard. You should spend the rest of your SP to fit your own playstyle.

PVE: (https://dnskillsim.herokuapp.com/na/...-0-00-----0--0) Click image for larger version  Name:	2B1blTE.png Views:	1 Size:	361.2 KB ID:	72637

PVP: (https://dnskillsim.herokuapp.com/sea...----0-----0---)

Skill breakdowns

Tumble, Aerial Evade, Dash, HP Bolster, Surprise Attack

PvE & PvP: Evades are crucial to staying alive. HP Bolster for more hp is a must

Impact Wave

PvE: Useless.

PvP: lv6 is decent for lift, but it’s slow and low SA break

Destructive Swing

PvE: A great skill at lv6 because it gives you i-frame and airtime for stomps

PvP: Lv6 is an important skill for its iFrame ability. Keep in mind that while it has a high SA break, it’s own SA is low

Rising Slash

PvE: Useless

PvP: lv6 is a must for added slash

Brush Off

PvE & PvP: Removing debuffs in addition to making you stand up. This is a very useful utility skill

Attuned Mind

PvE & PvP: Unsure if needed, take for safety. PvP probably needs it more than PvE does.

Moon Light Splitter

PvE: Core DPS skill. Cast constantly. Generates bubbles.

PvP: A great all-around skill, does amazing damage and has very high SA break, flinches.

Cyclone

PvE: Core DPS skill. Best consistent DPS. Cast constantly. Generates bubbles.

PvP: Keeps opponents in place for setup.

Crescent Cleave

PvE: Core DPS skill. Has been buffed significantly, and is on-par with MBD in terms of sheer damage.

PvP: Amazing damage if you hit it focused. Can use unfocused version to create a wall and back your opponent off

Half Moon Slash

PvE: Core DPS skill. High fast burst damage. Huge AOE. If you miss this then consider playing a different game.

PvP: Hard to dodge, does great damage, and is relatively comboable

Blade Storm

PvE: High burst fire-and-forget DPS

PvP: Launches opponent into the air, last beam does a lot of damage and drags opponent. Easy to hit

Triple Slash

PvE: Useful for pushing

PvP: Great utility, high SA break, delayable for catching evades

Forward Thrust

PvE: Emergency i-frame

PvP: Evade ability and engaging tool. High SA break

Hacking Stance

PvE & PvP: Useless. Can use as an additional lift in PvP but it's buggy and usually not worth it

Line Drive

PvE: Situational skill for mobility

PvP: Amazing engaging tool and does crazy damage if used in a corner

Infinity Edge

PvE: Emergency i-frame that lasts for a very long period of time.

PvP: Useless.

Luring Slice

PvE: Level to max for Awakening

PvP: Keep at lv1, because debuff does not scale

Courageous Shout

PvE & PvP: Max for longer damage steroid. No longer increases Superarmor

Dash Slash & Combo

PvE: Useless

PvP: Good SA break skill, combos into Eclipse Awkn

Aerial Combo:

PvE: Limited use as a long iframe. Good for giving more airtime to avoid stomps

PvP: Good engaging skill, but be aware iframe starts after you land

Active Parry

PvE: Very fun ability to use. Very high board damage. iFrame during cast

PvP: Very strong SAb and damage. Ridiculously high utility

Passive Parry

Removed

Parry Stance

Removed

Counter Slash

Removed

Eclipse

PvE: Core DPS skill. Very fast, can cancel from anything. Pulls monsters.

PvP: Fast and high SA-Break

Counter Cross

PvE: Recovery skill

PvP: High SA break and incredibly good damage

Moon Blade Dance

PvE: Core DPS skill. Cast off cooldown. Useful to avoid stomps and restore Smash X Cooldown

PvP: Very high damage, but beams push enemies and is hard to aim. Use in cyclone or to avoid attacks

Flash Stance

PvE: Filler skill and amazing mobbing skill. DPS itself is not that great

PvP: Free damage skill. Guaranteed at least 10k damage

Flash Stance INS

Removed. Rest in peace.

Eclipse Awakening:

PvE: Fantastic fast and damaging skill. Free burst of damage.

PvP: Most OP skill in the game. Free engage and catch.

Luring Slice Awakening:

PvE: Decent damage, low cooldown provides constant debuff

PvP:High SA-Break and lifts, but is cameralocked. Situational.

Cyclone Slash Awakening:

PvE: Even better constant DPS. Cast off-cooldown.

PvP: Free catch when opponent wastes evade. Amazing suction effect.

Moon Light Splitter Awakening:

PvE: Generates bubbles. Very high potential of damage, but requires positioning or large mobs.

PvP: Generates bubbles and lifts. Situational.

Moon Blader:

PvE: Mediocre damage, but amazing filler due to its ability to reduce Smash X's cooldown

PvP: Amazing damage, hard to combo. High cooldown.

Smash X:

PvE: Core DPS skill. Insane burst damage, about equal to a full cast of ulti. Try to reduce Cooldown as much as possible through MBD and Moon Blader

PvP: High cooldown renders it less useful. Decent damage, large but short-ranged AOE.

NOTE: HORIZONTAL RANGE IS VERY SHORT. YOU WILL MISS THIS SOMETIMES, AND YOU WILL FEEL RETARDED.

MBD EX?

<UPDATE> After a recent change, MBD EX only costs 20 bubbles to use. down from 30! This is a large enough change to warrant always taking the EX.

MLS Awkn?

Now that MBD EX is essentially mandatory, MLS Awkn is as well, in order to generate enough bubbles to feed MBD EX.

Playstyle:

You want to get off the following abilities as often as possible, in order of importance:

Brave > Smash X

MBD

Luring Slice > HMS Ins

Cyclone

Eclipse

Crescent Cleave

MLS

All the while also using Moon Blader when any short openings appear, or when otherwise not DPSing. All of these abilities have very very low cooldowns, and managing your cooldowns and rotations will make or break your DPS.

You should be using Luring Slice > HMS Ins often enough that the Luring Slice debuff is permanently applied. Cyclone should similarly be always on the field; its duration is now equal to its cooldown. These two abilities should be constantly used.

You should make sure Brave is up for Smash X before using it; it is your highest burst.

Canceling the recovery animations of attacks will significantly improve your DPS. For example, Smash X has a sizable ending lag that can be eliminated by casting Eclipse Awkn. You can also insert an attack between Luring Slice and HMS Ins, in order to animation cancel via Instant.

Be aware that Smash X is not tumble-cancelable. You must exercise caution when casting Smash X, or risk being caught in a dangerous situation. You can Eclipse, Parry, or Brush Off out of Smash X in emergencies.

I hesitate to call these "Combos," but there are certain combinations of skills that make you slightly more efficient. For example, you can cancel the end animation of Smash X with any ability (I like to do Smash X > MLS), but the end animation of HMS Ins can only be tumbled, so save Eclipse for canceling HMS instead of Smash X. In the end, however, the best indicator of how well you are DPSing is how often your skills are on cooldown. The more percentage of the time your skills are on CD, the better your dps is, as long as you aren't just straight up missing everything.

Gearing:

Wear like int stuff and really big swords. I'll update later maybe, but gearing is really straightforward now.

If you want techs, MBD is a must, and CC, HMS, Eclipse, MLS, and Cyclone are all options.

Plates are MBD Damage, and 3 out of the following: Eclipse dmg, MLS dmg, Cyclone dmg, CC dmg, Ult dmg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hekaiyo; 05-26-2017, 06:11 PM.

Reserved spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Hekaiyo View Post
      Eclipse Awakening:

PvE: Fantastic fast and damaging skill. Free burst of damage.

PvP: Most OP skill in the game. Free engage and catch.
      Note that suction is removed with awakening.
      Dont know for sure (never tried), but regular eclipse has no iframe i thought?
      IGN: GreenmercyLK

Discord: GreenAnodyne#7700

Comment

Oh! Yes my bad, I was writing about Awkn before I decided to have that be a separate entry. Thank you for catching that.

It's not very noticeable because the mobs tend to just be lifted, but yes Eclipse Awakening still has suction. It's more noticeable in PvP than in PvE.

Comment

Aw, fuk. I just realized "Lunar Knight" may be changed to "Moonlord" soon.

Ah, well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hekaiyo View Post
            Aw, fuk. I just realized "Lunar Knight" may be changed to "Moonlord" soon.

Ah, well.
            "The Lunar Knight/Moonlord Guide II"
            Easy fix
            IGN: GreenmercyLK

Discord: GreenAnodyne#7700

Comment

MBD in PvP can also be used off a wall bounce fairly easily.
              You can combo out of it with a side kick, too, if you don't use the EX click.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the guide, just wondering what would you recommend for Skill Crests?

Comment

• Hekaiyo
                  Hekaiyo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  MBD CD, HMS Dmg, and Cyclone Dmg are pretty necessary. The last one you have many choices, including Eclipse, Crescent Cleave, and Blade Storm

• Dragazer
                  Dragazer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Is MLS not that good anymore? I used to play back in 2013 and MLS dmg Crest was always recommended.

• Hekaiyo
                  Hekaiyo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No, MLS is no longer top dps. You have much better skills.

Is something like, https://dnskillsim.herokuapp.com/sea...-0-00-----0--0 a good Hybrid build? I want to do both PvE and PvP content with my eventual LK, but I don't want to buy Dual Build since that costs real money and I'm a broke AF college student.

Comment

• GreenmercyLK
                  GreenmercyLK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  its not avoiding a skill for the "ideal" build, its just simply not beneficial, and its playstyle preference, if you like MBD EX, then you can take it, if you dont like it, then dont take it....Thats simply how LK is now made to be palyed

• GreenmercyLK
                  GreenmercyLK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  and in everything that you are saying, i dont think you actually realize how big of a part MBD (non ex) is to the build. Its the main source of CD to Smash X that does the most amount of quick damage. The MBD EX version, cannot be broken in its delay on landing, leaving you extremely vulnerable. and not requiring bubbles would make LK too strong and overpowered. People already complain about it now......

The tornado's are fine as is, the do immense damage, changing them to have suction is also too strong. and its not a full tornado, its a mini cyclone that is used as disruption. Hence why its small and not huge like the "Cyclone" slash

• Skiptrace
                  Skiptrace commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The problem is. Why did they make MBD EX if it was going to reduce the damage output of a class. It's a skill that is meant to be used. You are literally avoiding a skill for maximum damage. MBD Standard allows for more consistient Smash X's, but MBD EX reduces the amount and makes you more vulnerable to hits at the end. That's a problem. You should not be forced to NOT take an EX to deal MORE damage. That's just fucking retarded.

Bump

up10clol
                Dragoon
                TypeNull - Bleed Phantom

Comment

Surprise, update.

Comment

Working...
                  X