No announcement yet.

Can we not do Military Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I vote we keep it. 24 hour time is way less confusing than 12 hour time anyway. It takes most people less than a second to convert it anyway. It you take more than 10 seconds... well. Muricans

Comment

i'd rather keep it, nobody has any doubts that 00:00 is midnight and 12:00 is mid-day, but in different places and even different people in the same place sometimes can't agree what 12:00 AM and 12:00 PM are.

hell, full "military" (AKA universal) time is even better, but it does take some getting used to.

Comment

I know how annoying it is to not be able to figure out instantaneously what time it is as you read the time but why don't you think of it as a way of expanding your mind and learning something new. You never know how it could help you in the future. You'd be surprised at how many professions (not to mention cultures) other than the military use that clock.

I even purposely put my phone clock as a 24 hour one so I could learn it because I hated feeling so stupid for not being able to know the time whenever someone used the 24 hour clock. Now it's a lot easier for me.

Just because you see it as cumbersome to read the 24 hour clock doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way.

Comment

Lots of deal with it posts when in actuality, it's harming the main user base that this particular server caters to. OP aside, there's actually relatively legitimate arguments FOR AM/PM time.

It's a quality of life fix and it helps, considering the majority of users on DNNA are from the US. While it may not be a problem for some users, it's quite troubling for a lot of US users, myself included. I can read military time, and translating it in my head takes a couple of seconds at most, but being unable to look at the numbers at tell the time right away is something that bothers me. Times can be easily mistaken and even misread for the main user base, that's no good.

To clarify, I'm not saying that other minorities are less important, but ED should really cater more towards the US crowd, even as something as marginal as this. Adding both military and AM/PM would fix this issue easily though.

edit:
          considering forums default with AM/PM time and the dates on the main page are in an american format, ED is really inconsistent with formatting.
          Dragoon
          TypeNull - Bleed Phantom

Comment

We are the minority to the rest of the world in terms of how we reserve the 24 hour time system for the military. If people are so off-put by not being able to read the time on one website in AM/PM format that they feel 'alienated', well... maybe it's time to burst that bubble, unless you plan to never travel anywhere abroad for the rest of your life. I'm not discrediting that this concern is a valid one for the userbase, but it's like you said, it's such a tiny little thing to worry about when people egg on them for everything else that they do. I've misread event periods before during events when we swapped over, but that was my own fault. My mistake is not something I need to hold ED accountable for because it didn't cater to what I'm used to, you know?

Comment

I'll be honest, the difference is negligible at best. If you can't convert the time,then that's your own issue.

However, ED has listened to this and is hosting a vote where you can choose between the 12 hour format and 24 hour format on their Dragon Nest NA Facebook page.
              Last edited by Aisuru; 12-08-2016, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Keep it 24 hour time. Good lesson for people who haven't learned it or aren't use to it. Also, you can't use the argument, "it alienates the playerbase". Well you can, I still think it's ridiculous though. What do you think half the content in Dragon Nest does? Separates the poor and the rich. Separates those with cash cards and those without. Separates those with raid groups and those without. But learning 24 hour time takes much less time than it would to learn a nest.

Comment

Originally posted by Aisuru View Post
                  I'll be honest, the difference is negligible at best. If you can't convert the time,then that's your own issue.

However, ED has listened to this and is hosting a vote where you can choose between the 12 hour format and 24 hour format on their Dragon Nest NA Facebook page.
                  if they need to be consistent with something it's their events and whatnot, half the time they're only in the frontpage, and now this apparently is only mentioned in their FB page?

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/dragonnest/...53913611344870

Take a vote for the cause.

Comment

60 to 50 in favor of 24 hour so far. Wow, close.
                      Dragoon
                      TypeNull - Bleed Phantom

Comment

nope, if they're able to make time to actually work on specific problem, I want them to spend those time in fixing something the players can do nothing about such as the bugs.

Comment

• Pika
                          Pika commented
                          Editing a comment
                          it only take a few lines of of coding if that to make the changes to where as fixing a problem in game is actually a lot more tie consuming

ED making a Facebook post about this got me laughing
                        | Discord: Rinkie#3775 |

Comment

The world doesn't revolve around the United States. The transfer removing IP block from NA proves it, and makes it necessary.

24 hour is the way of the future.

Comment

Originally posted by SaitoHikari View Post
                            The world doesn't revolve around the United States. The transfer removing IP block from NA proves it, and makes it necessary.

24 hour is the way of the future.
                            "US".dragonnest.com

Dragoon
                            TypeNull - Bleed Phantom

Comment

I find this thread amusing. I avoided it for the longest time because I thought it was about something else. Its 24hr time, dunno why ppl calling it military time (yes, I get that they use it but still). 24hr time is so much easier to use when converting between different timezones and personally I use 24hr time on most of my devices.. I don't see the issue here. Shouldn't have been something that need to be taught, seems self explanatory to me lol.

Comment

• Owl
                                Owl commented
                                Editing a comment
                                M*A*S*H, good times. Still don't see why it needs to be taught, pretty straight forward lol

• Blurlight
                                Blurlight commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Well god damn, I guess I'll join the marines to learn to how to subtract 1200 from the current time

• MonD
                                MonD commented
                                Editing a comment
                                in the "US" people only learn in military time if you're in the military? Lol you need to skim more within many professions. Its not only necessary for military people. Stop SAYING US!
                            Working...
                            X