Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Player attitude evolution with respect to game development an essay

I have read a forum thread on how toxic we are as a community but

I will not defend the community the community will defend itself: what I would state is the situation going on around the community or what is left of it considering the MMO's and other triple A titles saturating the gaming industry the gamer has a lot of options to choose from, yet why dragon nest? why stick to dragon nest ? its not the graphics or the mechanics, its the community!! the community have stuck along the ups and down of the developers, it have weathered the storm of events such as this one( im looking at you t3 +20), but considering the progression and development of the game as it is now and the players who have stuck around have the game changed the attitude of its players into what it is now? Did it breed trolls?

Here is my take on why dragon nest player have ultimately become trolls.

major change no 1. FTG system: back when FTG was not a problem boosting newbs was common the community helped one another since the rewards was also for those grinding there space cubes for the end game "genesis acc" back then so master was a thing and i have boosted my share of unknown newbs who have become my friends at the end until level 93.Due to the FTG system i have become more frugal of boosting since i have to count every FTG points i have thus i have become a miser in boosting and thus a boosting gold fee was born.

major change no 2. PVP was a daily quest back then: although im not a PVP the PVP quest where in you have to enter a PVP room and juke it out with other players was a thing it made the community stronger because you get to hang out with all kinds off trolls in the process raising your immunity levels to "cancer" now this was changed so new players who did'nt experience this era have zero immunity to the dragon nest trolls and are mostly left weireded out of their minds. If you experienced this era, then you have anti oxidants injected already your already immune to minor cancer.

major change 3. IP ban although lacking evidence i think the friendlier people of the community got banned since i have not seen a friendly soul after the Ip ban just my opinion tho.

major change 4. The time limit on stages and floor difficulty : back in the days the nest can be finished even if it takes low geared people 30 minutes to kill a stage boss as long as its finished, now due to the time limit of 5 minutes per stage players are demanding high end players to quickly end the stage boss life. creating prejudice and descrimination. Take for example the CP hunt there is no descrimination in the CP hunt since its a low demand high rewards grind and its set on easy anyways un geared players experience the nest in easy mode, yet are baffled on why they are descriminated on floor 10 and above this is due to the stage difficulty and the mind set of the party to kill the boss in time. The higher the floor the higher the descrimination the higher the demand that you throw your share of the DPS, this should be understood by all newbs , you can't blame a party leader for being prejudice in a higher floor nest its because the leader can't carry and the nest are hard as F, I am not defending prejudice it exist due to the nest system demand, thus if i make a pub party I have the some requirements does this make me a prejudiced player?

major change 5: Gear Ups and tier: Due to high demand for gold because of its uses i have become a gold hoarder. this is to Ups my gear in the past "no gold no problem" motto just go and spam DZ . Now although gold seems overflowing the tier upgrade costs are astronomical that almost all players are greedy to have some gold this maybe why it breeded scammers This is my theory why players of the game have become misers every player needs gold so every player is scheming how to get gold.

So stating some of my thoughts did the changes on the game create a troll out of ME and thus why new players who come to this game for the first time end up concluding that DN community is messed up?

I also play other MMO's which i will not name but the progression,player attitude and evolution can't be compared as a good sample data DN is still much more friendlier since other MMO's have PK zones and boss Kill steals are common on Open MMO's, DN may be containing its trolls due to the loot mechanics exept CBN pls fix CBN loot mechanics FFS!

TLDR: due to the current evolving nature of the game it bred troll players in the process and i think i have become one

Good points but saying that people play DN because of the community isn't exactly accurate. Everyone has their own reasons of playing a game but the main reason why people play DN is because of its fluid, responsive, and unique combat system. The game has the term RPG in it but that's just a facade because the only time there's any RPG mechanic in this game is when it comes to hardcore nests (And even with that, full DPS parties are more viable in the long run). There's roughly around 75+ dungeons in the entire game and the only time the RPG matters is within the rough 5-10 dungeons that need it (That's roughly only 10-20% of the total dungeons!). Thus, this is why I can say for sure that the community isn't the primary reason for a person to play DN.

Before I give out my arguments, I want to give out my definition of what being a "troll" is, so we can be align with each other. A troll is someone who purposefully tries to start fights or create a conflict for his own amusement (e.g: Baiting). Another thing I want to point out is that, ultimately, what dictates how a person acts in game or in real life is their personality, so, whilst some factors affect their attitude in a game, it boils down to how they take it in the end. Now that I've explained what a troll is, here's my rebuttals to the points you threw out:

(1) The FTG system is the dumbest thing I've ever experienced in an MMORPG. A GRINDING MMORPG for that matter. I will have to agree with you that this is definitely affecting players in a negative way (Why the hell is a grinding game limiting my playing time? Could you imagine if WarFrame had a time limit?) but I'd say it's far-fetched to say that it's making players want to start conflict. The worst thing it could do to a player is frustrate him by not being able to play the character he wants, thus, he's forced to either wait or create a new one but I wouldn't say he'd go as far as to troll others.

(2) PvP will always be filled with trolls. SEA will always be filled with easily triggered nerds. SEA PvP will always be filled with easily triggered nerds who both gets trolled or does the trolling. Nothing new here, nothing wrong here either (Unless you fall into the triggered category, then, better grow some thick skin)

(3) I disagree with the IP ban. You're basically saying if we bring a certain group in a certain area, the game will be a better place. No, that's not how it works. It helps but it doesn't significantly do anything. There will always be assholes in ANY community.

(4) This one is a symptom of a root cause. The root cause is the piss poor management of handling content and the linear way of doing things in this game. They have removed variety in this game to the point that they've dumbed nearly EVERYTHING down to a to-do-list (They call it a "Daily Task" but I call it a to-do-list because that's what it feels like). The only thing they haven't dumbed down to the point of you being braindead is the fishing and farming in the game (But even that isn't doing so well with them removing the extra space you could plant, as long as you get there first). ED is so adamant on making things easier for new players that they ultimately reduced the amount of paths and actions you can do in the game. Here's a good example:

Remember 40 cap when crafting materials were important? If you couldn't handle Manticore or Apocalypse nest, you can go to normal dungeons in Abyss and farm some crafting materials to sell in the TH (Or use it for yourself). Hell, each dungeon had their own crafting material and each crafting material had its own economy in the Trading House. Remember the varied gems (Ruby, Sapphire, Topaz, Obsidian)? Those had their own economy as well. Undergeared for nests? Go for crafting items. Too tired to grind? Sell out the stock of varied gems you have that your class doesn't need. Feeling lucky? Open up some codes (3 types of codes: Armor, Weapon, Accessories; and even different class type codes!) and hope you get lucky. You had so much options that you could take and THAT'S what makes the game enjoyable. It gives players the freedom to what they want to achieve their end goal.

(5) I'd say this one is 50-50. In a way, they simplified it to make things more straightforward, so that's good but they've dumbed it down so much (Refer to my argument #4) that it's too damn linear for me to enjoy anything. I have to grind for the gold for days, use it all up in a single enhancement, fail, and repeat. There is NO merit to this hardcore RNG BS.

So, by the end of the day, do these make a player's attitude and mindset in the game deteriorate? Most likely, yes, it does. I rarely care about events or content in this game anymore because it's the same thing recycled a million times and you can clearly see it's all about the $$$.

Do these make a player start conflicts in game and actively troll other players? I wouldn't say so. It's frustrating but it's not enough for someone to be an asshole to strangers.

tl;dr: People primarily troll because they find it fun and amusing, not because the game sucks. You made good points but you're making far-fetched claims and conclusions.

Comment

• bilbo33
      bilbo33 commented
      Editing a comment
      I stand to be corrected, this is just my take on the current system, and surprisingly enough we agree on some points, i have recently, played on other MMO genre since they too have the same scheme like ED giving away some free stuff in exchange for real word currecy and this is common norm taking advantage of the season/month/occasion. but player base seems to be more friendlier albeit there is also the ftg system/blessing system I was offered to be bossted at lvl 4 by higher players and they were roaming around the first city offering to boost my char to lvl 15/20 which i will never see on lagendia, character progression was complicated but people were replying to world chat with help in mind although i experienced my fare share of trolls. I can't help but compare. Will i play DN. yes i will but it will not keep me from playing other MMO's. But I'm already invested in the game in the first place. I just hope that the World remastered Patch would change the Lagendia community for the better. for now the system is broken lets just wait and see how the game will progress in te future.

haha.. that's a really long essay..
    • Vesa23 - Saleana •

Comment

Its ok im so smart i know how to read

Comment

>tfw people come in a thread that wants to start a decent discussion but they're too lazy to read it, so they just end up posting something obvious or try to be witty about it

lmao

Comment

Hmmm..interesting perspective.
          Azonia Teh 110-pound Dancer
          BoRaCay Guild

Semper Fidelis

Comment

Working...
          X