[Noob Question] - A Question About DPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Noob Question] - A Question About DPS

So before you go about telling "how noob can this person be?" I already tried searching the internet about this topic and cannot find something that would explain it clearly. I'm the type of person that I would search for answers first before asking for help.

My noob question is about DPS. I just noticed that it seems like a very big deal for this game compared to last time I played it on 2014.

What's all the fuss around it?

How to I achieve a high DPS value (currently playing Elestra)?

I would really appreciate if someone can clarify it for me.

Thanks in advance.

DPS is defined as "damage per second," referring to a class' capability to deal damage to monsters. This is a core component in DN, which is a "killing monsters" game. This became more obvious due to the DPS meter being implemented, which gives DPS measurements versus previous ways of "running nest and measuring the clear time," which is not a very obvious measurement.

There are various reasons why DPS is important:
    Firstly, you need certain amount of DPS to clear in time. In labyrinth and Forest dragon nest, there are time restrictions. With lesser DPS, you may not even clear this in time, hence you want MORE DPS. The higher the DPS, the more "safer" it is in terms of time restriction.

Secondly, when you deal higher damage, monsters die faster and hence, the actual run-time is lesser. This would mean that there would be less mechs and attacks to dodge and avoid party-wipes (e.g. party wipe mech occurs per 2 minutes. If you take 10 minutes to kill the boss, you may face up to 6x mechs versus facing just 1 if you clear in 2 mins).

The easiest way to get better DPS is improving gears. Refer to geared players and continue to upgrade your gears. With the game progression now with Skila requiring constant upgrading of gear, its only normal that DPS goes up slowly. However, certain classes will always out-DPS others (e.g. Smasher, Flurry, ML > GM, Guardian, Ruina) if gear levels are not extremely far.
    Remmystarr from Eden (Discord: Xenocho #8012)
    Please try to read my guide before asking questions on gear optimisation here;
    Old and outdated Engineer guide here; Selling FDN service for FDN weaps (Read here!);

Comment

• Mr.Shovels
      Mr.Shovels commented
      Editing a comment
      I wanted to confirm something since i am very curious about it and to clarify if my assumptions are correct...

There are moments that i've killed bosses in fission maze in less than a minute, my dps skyrocketed as usual, i've also noticed on battleground test site that if i deal a certain amount of damage lets say billions, the dps measure rises in numbers, but the moment i stopped dealing damage it slowly decreases.

So is my DPS also lies in with the amount of time it took me to kill a boss in a nest?

• BananaCredits
      BananaCredits commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes of course, it is "damage per second", implying DPS increases when your damage increase, or the time is shorten

• Xenocho
      Xenocho commented
      Editing a comment
      If you KOS, usually your DPS is significantly higher. This is due to DPS being measured as "time taken after dealing first hit until boss is dead." If you 1h KO the boss with 100m dmg in 1s, your dps is 100m. If it was a single hit and ended the fight in 0.1s, your DPS becomes 1b.

The DPS requirement for the game is getting ridiculously higher, as compared to old caps. Back in 50cap, people can clear the nests with rare equipment that are dropped in dungeon, and with a dragon L weapon, you are literally the god in the server. Hell, I even joined SDN raid with epic set equipment. Now, there is timer in almost everything, making things harder and requiring high DPS. The nests and raids are no longer very dependent on the player skill and need of tanker (like SDN rotating breath where tanker need to take the aggro and avoiding dragon rotating). In conclusion, DPS make DN life easy.
    "Internet is full of trolls and idiots."
    - Albert Einstein

Mail me gold to IGN: Scimitarry

Comment

On a side note, since you also asked how to achieve high DPS as an Elestra, i would suggest you take a look at this well written guide by NoobiexD, quite possibly the strongest and most geared Elestra in SEA at the moment.

ht tp://forum.dragonnest.com/sea/classes-aa/sorceress-laboratory-aa/92841-guide-freeze-everything-elestra-pve-guide
      (remove the space between the "ht" and "tp")

You can also pm him in game if you have any further questions, im sure he will be happy to assist. =)
      Last edited by IJumpUJump; 02-25-2019, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X