No announcement yet.

List of known Scamming/Hacking methods employed in DN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is attempted scamming counts as a "Ban" when proven?

Comment

• launcelot
      launcelot commented
      Editing a comment
      I find no difference between scenarios:
      1) Two total strangers meet to trade and one discovers that he was about to get scammed. - This is considered attempted scamming as one has seen the ruse early without becoming the victim of the other's ploy.

2) Your trusted friend approaches you and tries to scam you as a joke.

Variation of #1
      3) Two total strangers meet to trade and one discovers he was about to get scammed. The scammer calls off the deal and puts it off as a joke. This is a cover up.

• Vaddix
      Vaddix commented
      Editing a comment
      ^agreed, I do troll my friends in-game sometimes with the risk of getting banned. But one should know when to stop or when to mess around.

Update : Added small tricks on what characters are being used to impersonate names.
    We all hate Scammers and Hackers. Click [HERE] to learn more about their methods.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_19196.png
Views:	256
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	135322
      Originally posted by launcelot View Post

Cyrillic Character replacements. Note: Recent character names are not allowed to create names with Cyrillic sets. (needs confirmation)

Try just now while read the topic ... I try use ing Yuкi , as most can see k replased with Cyrillic character к

http://forum.dragonnest.com/forum/sea-forum/general-topics-aa/useful-guidelines-links/111511-list-of-known-scamming-hacking-methods-employed-in-dn

Comment

[/QUOTE]
        Keyloggers from Unsecured PC's
        The use of keyloggers to record all keystrokes is one of the oldest trick in the book. Always ensure that you have a secured PC before you log in to a Dragon Nest client.

This Article will be further updated with additional content if any form of scamming has not fallen in any of the categories that has been provided.
        Other Side notes, as this article was written on a rush, I failed to erase a few individuals who helped me capture some photos. If you think that I should remove them for privacy issues, please let me know.[/QUOTE]

So any advice on how to secure correctly ur PC?
        ~Experience Is Key, Live Life, Dream Big~

Comment

• launcelot
          launcelot commented
          Editing a comment
          I can't give a detailed guide to securing your PC. Remember that we have different uses for our PC's. Some people are developers and programmers themselves and leaves a lot of experimental software, applications and tools left around in their PC. Others have a dorm PC which is shared with roommates/dormmates. While others share their social media accounts.

The general consensus in keeping your PC's secured is :
          1) Do not share your accounts with anyone. Additional emphasis for those who borrow / lend phones with links to social media.
          2) Do not use pirated software. This includes software that has software cracks. It is often a known tactic that some software cracks have trojans hidden in their code to steal information from your pc. Buy and support legitimate software. I have seen countless occasions where people brag about their top-of-the-line PC hardware but own nothing but pirated software.
          3) Do not share your PC with anyone. Do not share them with your Dad, Mom, brother, sister, sexy girlfriend, or that naked girl from next door or anyone else not on my list. If you still have to share them, ensure that you practice good PC housekeeping by performing regular PC scans and manual PC maintenance.
          4) When you make changes to your PC, like install new stuff, run an foreign tool, plug in your friend's USB drive, make sure to scan your PC. Always update your PC to the latest Windows update. It is not an excuse to skip Windows Update simply because it crashes a lot.
          5) Never click links recommended to you on email that you did not trigger.
          6) I normally do not recommend the use of computer shops as a means to play DN. But this is often an unavoidable scenario for some. Regularly check if the computer shop that you are playing on, practices the right kind of good PC housekeeping. Up to date PCs with the latest AntiVirus software.
          7) Do not share your email with anyone in-game, as the email you use is also your username in DN. Sharing it with a complete stranger is already providing them the first layer of towards gaining access to your account.

Note that most of these so-called "hacks" are actually a means to "outsmart" you into releasing all your precious information. Information that can lead to strangers gaining access to your account. There are no hollywood-style hacking involved here.

<<Added all these suggestions on the main article>>
          Last edited by launcelot; 06-16-2018, 08:15 PM.

• Mr.Shovels
          Mr.Shovels commented
          Editing a comment
          From my experience, Keyloggers are software that are installed inside a flash drive, if its plugged in either the computer is currently on, or just got turned on it will launch a script that records every keystroke of the user while typing, in this manner of mischievous activity, anyone who is responsible of doing this will be able to get all the information regarding any type of accounts you've logged in on a browser, a program and especially on games.

Keylogging are often done by physically inserting an external device, usually a Flash Drive into a USB port of a computer with a keylogging software, This type of hacking is mainly applicable for DN players who doesn't own a PC and instead rent one at their nearby Internet Cafe, from which a lot of suspicious individuals visits, especially the big ones with less security and is an open area where anyone and everyone can enter, go inside back and forth and bystanders are usually watching other people play to entertain themselves or simply waiting for someone to get up and they get replaced by another queued customer on that spot.

But ofc this is easily achievable if the person using the computer is seemingly don't have that much extensive knowledge about computers, so if you are one of them, ALWAYS check the USB ports of a computer you're going to rent by checking at the back on the I/O ports of a computer where you see all the wires are plugged in from the computer peripherals.

If you know that a certain internet cafe has an open area where people can easily go back and forth inside the vicinity and that the PC Units are exposed out in the open without protective USB covers (plastic covers that technicians use to insert onto the ports to prevent dust from entering and also avoid the ports to rust if left unused for a long time if it is not maintained well and cleaned well) You should always be careful of when and where you should play.

I've been playing DN all this years in my potato laptop, and i've only played outside a few times (well i played on high-end Internet Cafe like Mineski for reasons, mainly is for security, and second is for the comfort, 3rd maybe because the PC units there are high spec and they've got crazy fast internet connection) and never have any of my accounts gets banned, or hacked, NOT UNLESS I GIVE OUT MY ACCOUNT CREDENTIALS TO A SCAMMER! HAHAHA

Verbena , requesting to pin this as the article gets referred to a lot when explaining scam methods.
        We all hate Scammers and Hackers. Click [HERE] to learn more about their methods.

Comment

• Xenocho
          Xenocho commented
          Editing a comment
          This should actually come with account registration.... Many players do not visit forums unfortunately.

And another sad thing to note: Verbena seems to be inactive for a few months now :\

• launcelot
          launcelot commented
          Editing a comment
          that’s a little sad to hear

• Mr.Shovels
          Mr.Shovels commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe we forum members shouldn't be bothered by those lots who aren't visiting the forums, they only visit a few times to check in on people who sells some good stuff, check for news, and maybe if some that got scammed they come crying here saying "i got scammed, please ban dis dud" they demand so much, they would have avoided being scammed if they did a bit of research such as visiting the forums, reading a little bit and search for the "Guidelines" section and read this thread post, but instead they are so hyped they're releasing a lot of hormones and they go raging and spamming their hotkeys like its gonna do anything when the skill is in cooldown, i mainly read most of those posts with a poker face and then just face palm myself.

If Verbana is inactive... this forum is doomed

Hi launcelot I have been scammed by some Apprentice Seller, the seller told me that his character will be max by the certain day, then the other day comes hes not there anymore and I did not receive any Master-Apprentice Points. Is there any way to avoid this issue?

Comment

• launcelot
          launcelot commented
          Editing a comment
          Azukano, i feel bad that you were scammed on that regard. But in regards to selling apprenticeship slots, it is very open to scams as this is where the foundation of trust is being established.

I must admit that I'm a real hog for apprentice slots that I even ask apprentices to give me 2 slots. One for my main... and one for my booster character. In exchange, I boost them for free.

• Mr.Shovels
          Mr.Shovels commented
          Editing a comment
          Avoiding this issue is simple: just don't do it! if there's really a big gap between trusting someone who is honest and trusting someone who is a fraud and a scum, and that you can't distinguish the 2 from the player who are willing to sell you their services, then just don't bother.

But a lot of players don't mind being trolled and their money stolen from them since for them it's just a very small amount of gold to begin with, and they just take pity to that player who only earned a small amount for what bad karma would have to come for them, and KARMA happens to everyone, whether you do bad things in real life or in a game or to someone, its a cycle.

• Azukano
          Azukano commented
          Editing a comment
          yeah I feel you, I do the same as well I am offering 5 free runs in Abandon Wharf to consummate the allotted free runs for Master-Apprentice and at the same time DQ if he the Apprentice reached 95 earlier than usual because of 400% exp boost.

careful not to trust people easily............ so sad to see these in community........
        Meme is a thing........ Ugly meme is another thing.....

Comment

Just an update on this thread. There is an ongoing FDN scam where in someone is inviting people for FDN filler or to participate for FDN. However with several alterations, whoever was organizing this FDN party also offers to pilot your account for various reasons. Please don't give in to this laziness.

1) You already fell for it if you agree to lend your account. ALWAYS REMEMBER NOT TO REVEAL YOUR USERNAME AND PASSWORD TO ANYONE
          2) If you wish to play FDN, honor your integrity by participating in it - not ask someone else to pilot the account for you.

I have been observing several attempts at posing for someone else and bring this load of crap into our area, and this has to stop.

Comment

• launcelot
            launcelot commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes. They're offering that they pilot their account since their characters are suitable for the party, but not the user/owner. Apparently they wish to take over the account instead of integrating the player into the FDN party (if it even exists).

The prime goal would be to take all the L-Jades and other items stripped off. Who knows what else can be taken as long as the scammer takes over the account.
            Last edited by launcelot; 05-07-2019, 02:08 AM.

• BananaCredits
            BananaCredits commented
            Editing a comment
            Alright then it is now clear, how old tactic is this.

• Azukano
            Azukano commented
            Editing a comment
            ah now I know I wouldn't fell for it thanks to you.
            LF>FDN clear Pilot have no Ljades hahahhaha

I see a lot of CC Items seller these days that insist "GIft Only" and that they're trusted even with gears, and when you ask them why not they put it in Trading house for example: Hairstyle, they keep denying and makes lame excuses even if you offer to pay the tax and fee. Please don't fall for these obvious frauds! @.@

Comment

• BananaCredits
            BananaCredits commented
            Editing a comment
            " and that they're trusted even with gears"

I see its an imposing scam then.

• launcelot
            launcelot commented
            Editing a comment
            I already mentioned from above. Gifting is a red flag especially for total strangers.

5) Trade/Gifting
            We are not totally against gifting, especially with people who you trust completely. But there are some nefarious players who play along with this gimmick until it is too late. They would tell you to trade with him/her a certain amount of gold before they gift you with any item from the Cash shop. Please take note that anyone can just sell items on TH by just buying from the Cash Shop and put it on sale in TH for a certain amount of gold instead of just gifting. Do not take the excuse that you wish to be gifted to keep a TH:1 status on your purchased items and decide to trade with a total stranger through this method.
        Working...
        X