Regarding vBulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding vBulletin

Making this thread because I'm the only one in the Discord with a tiny hope this suggestion will be listened apparently.

Any chance we could have the forums switched to another service? IPB would be fine. I would say vBulletin is pretty much at fault the forums having little activity when Cherry Credits forums used to be very active.

1.- It's barely functional and user friendly, even trying to create a post it's a chore unless it's text only. Who thought it was a good idea to not have a unique page for advanced editing? You have to manually switch to chronological order when you want to see anything, pages beyond 1 often don't load in threads (they just never load for me), subforum pages only load after several attempts. Some known forum codes (the ones in [exampleCODE][/exampleCODE]) don't work or aren't enabled.

2.- Threads load slow, seriously I have a somewhat fast internet connection for Mexican standards and while CC's IPB forum threads loaded in an instant, Eyedentity forum threads take so long I sometimes end up going to do something else while waiting. It doesn't help that some people have a gigantic signature which makes certain threads even slower. I don't wanna imagine how it is for PH players sitting with less than half of the internet connection I have.

3.- It has a lot of security flaws that haven't been properly addresed since vBulletin 4:

https://www.hackread.com/vbulletin-f...d-data-leaked/
    https://www.hackread.com/vbulletin-f...d-on-dark-web/
    https://www.databreaches.net/vbullet...s-info-stolen/
    https://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/10/...bulletin-hole/

Google vBulletin hacked, IPB hacked and Xenforo hacked and see how many results of mayor cases you get. Comparing their wikipedia pages makes one feel like we are stuck with the worst forum service.

5.- Their security filter it's unremediable garbage. It labels posts as unapproved so randomly that you can submit the same post again and it will be accepted, which means it will do nothing against a spam bot posting at 100 km/h while long time rule-abiding users need to put up with it. And it even unapproves posts with links to threads and posts of this very same forum.

6.- Don't even get me started into the captcha. We aren't 4chan or another anonymous boards, we are people who already confirmed an account as legit. It doesn't even ask you to fill a form, it justs accepts it as soon as you click, so again how this is helpful against spam bots? We have to input captcha even for editing, what kind of bot edits a post anyways? And sometimes the captcha doesn't work, you can skip it all together with no issue. Tested.

We are using vBulletin for what? The third party developing community for vBulletin and variety of themes are the only good thing about it and the sole reasons many people use vBulletin, and I don't see that being taken advantage of. Without developing and tweaking vBulletin is unuseable garbage while Xenforo and IPB work just fine by themselves.

Pros of these forums over the previous ones: We can comment on single posts, and we have private messages. But at what cost?

I can't believe you paid $285 + $195 USD for this. For half of that you would have gotten a fine Xenforo or IPB forum.

ALSO: Captcha broke on me and had to refresh the page to be able to post this. Thanks.
    Last edited by Chocorroles; 10-27-2017, 03:49 PM.

Just to let you know there's this magic button on the chat box where you can toggle advanced settings to further customize your texts.

You can also upload images via links and use hyper-links in your texts via the Advanced Settings

Click image for larger version

Name:	d86v3B2.png
Views:	11
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	101999

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedReign View Post
      Just to let you know there's this magic button on the chat box where you can toggle advanced settings to further customize your texts.

You can also upload images via links and use hyper-links in your texts via the Advanced Settings
      Click image for larger version  Name:	d86v3B2.png Views:	1 Size:	55.9 KB ID:	101999

I use the advanced bar. That's not the problem, the problem is it doesn't have a unique page so it usually lags or bugs with the rest of the thread.

If captcha bugs, then I have to reload the page and hope it doesn't crash and burn again if the thread is big. At least it saves posts but that's an option in any forum at this point.

You can't also multi-quote, it doesn't work and just displays a blank, so you have to open the thread several times and copy-paste if you want to multi-quote.

I believe vBulletin should have an option to enable being able to choose if you want to open a new window to use the advanced options, or they got rid of it because they want people to use their new comment function even if you literally want to say the same thing to two people which would just difficult discussion of the same topic whitin the same thread.
      Last edited by Chocorroles; 10-28-2017, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Forums cannot be changed anytime soon, because these licenses are paid for a yearly usage. So please let's try to get along and handle this the best we can. Try to cope with the forums by reducing posts displayed per page and hide signatures, I warn you that this sometimes bugs direct links to posts (they won't work).

Telling users to turn off signature display isn't ideal, I know, many people advertise their threads and fansites using them and encouraging users to hide such a useful function it's just counterproductive. I already submitted a suggestion to implement limitations on signatures, as many people are going around with heavy and huge pictures (sometimes more than one) and I can't go around scolding people for something that isn't in the rules.

Was kinda iffy to post this but I got so many complains of being unable to load the draw you character thread. Some users also told me that they tried to report this user and comment before (it was reported to me via PM), but were unable to because the page never fully loaded: http://forum.dragonnest.com/sea/test...e56#post102990

Please in future events like that, don't post the full view version of the picture. The attachment is enough, everyone's computers and internet will thank you.

Recently we had a sales and marketing bot attempting to spam the forums. I'm glad the filter worked in all cases. I already made a pinned thread about this but I have lots of people submitting a thread 2, 3 or more times to attempt to bypass the filter. Please stop this just slows down the process for everyone and then we end up with many posted duplicates. It's a waste of time.
        Last edited by Verbena; 10-31-2017, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X