Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Voices and Translations - A Question for Eyedentity!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voices and Translations - A Question for Eyedentity!

Since we now have a means to communicate with you directly, I wanted to ask..

What is the plan regarding Voices and Translations post-transfer? I'll go into detail.

For one, I suggest switching to Korean voices (either full Korean, Korean character voices but not NPC, and/or let us vote and you will see a result similar to my request. The reasons behind switching to Korean voices are:

1. Almost every other version except for JP and RU (and currently NA) use their own Character voices.

2. You will have a very hard time getting the Voice Actors that Nexon previously used to do new work for your version (that info and contracts likely won't come with the transfer)

3. It will be very expensive to focus even more assets on this large service transfer towards voicing any new lines.

4. Lastly, focusing less on voices (and translations) will allow you to push content out quicker and smoother, being able to focus fully on the content and not the nit-picky things like voices and/or translations.

What do you think NA should do regarding VOICE OVERS post-transfer? VOTE NOW! http://www.strawpoll.me/11283280

Next, I suggest going back to original storyline translations. I can see this is already prevalent on the website. For example: You mention Typhoon Kim instead of Typhoon Krag, Geraint instead of Gerrant. All of this should be reverted to original storyline translations, such as Saint Haven instead of Saint's Haven, etc. That way, all of the English versions (EU, SEA, ours) will be more in line with all other versions in terms of naming.

We want things like Sword Master, Bow Master, ACADEMIC, and MUCH MORE! Now is the time for CHANGE!

Again, efficiency and speed are a factor when it comes to translations. It would cost even more money to push out super high quality translations like Nexon NA tried to do. It is understandable to us that the quality may not be as great on the translations, and we understand because we know that the game needs to focus on content rather than the small things like I mentioned.

Either way, I'd REALLY like to hear an official response from you (Eyedentity) on what we can expect regarding this come the 28th.

PS: I want to thank you on behalf of all of us NA DN veterans for having faith in our version and trying to revive it, and we can't wait to see what you have in store for us!
    Last edited by Vinn101; 09-22-2016, 10:48 PM.

Bumping this to update it with some info I got from data-mining just now.

Translations (UIString) is all using the same Nexon NA base. Any new translations made are clearly visible by many of them being in Engrish (ENGRISH). (ex: Transfered Hero's Flag)

Voices are also -all- same as Nexon NA base.

For those of you that were content with the English voices and same NA translations, you will be happy. :P

Tests were done on EU client with ED NA translations/voices.

EDIT: There are a -lot- of inconsistencies in the translations for any new content that ED translated. For example, an old NPC Text for Geraint mentions him as Gerrant, but a new Geraint NPC text mentions him as Geraint. Typhoon Krag Nest is now Returned Typhoon Kim Nest. My question is.. Why not just choose one? Is that how all these translations will be from now on? Bold references to original storyline naming, but keeping the old non-original translations half the time, too?

ED needs to give us some answers, and/or let us choose what we want. >.> Heck, I'll even offer to make some distinct changes for them, so it all matches up properly. :P
    Last edited by Vinn101; 09-27-2016, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Poking this in agreement. now to read the thing and poke again later
      ...Oh shit *initiates lurk.exe*

Comment

I'll post with another update after more data-mining that we are indeed using NA voices, BUT, ALL NEW voices (93 cap and on) are ALL SILENCED (0'd out). They are all reduced to 5kb, and are blatantly silenced out since no new voice acting into English will be done.

I think this should be enough evidence for players and also ED that it makes more sense to just give us full KR voices. Please give us a poll and let us decide, because IMO I'd rather have full voices in KR than only partial voices in English.
        Last edited by Vinn101; 09-27-2016, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Well name inconsistencies in UI strings you can literally fix with wordseach in notepad

as for contracting existing actors I'm sure it's fine because unless Nexon somehow binds them legally (lol, it's more likely Nexon sought freelancers; I doubt they have an army of voice actors bound to only work for Nexon) really it's only if the actors are willing to continue doing the work. There is incentive to continue because the content is familiar after working with it before. ED just needs to make sure they can communicate through the language barrier which is the hardest part. Also Ed can simply ask for the voice actors employed. The data is there and it's not like the companies hate each other; business is business.

considering how different English is from Korean i think it's necessary to translate in order to reach the western market. Keeping the voices Korean deters many people since they contain engrish and its cheesy. Maybe if the voices just had sounds and no words it would be ok but that's not the case.

plus ED reclaimed DNNa because they believe they can do better than Nexon. It makes no sense to go the cheap way. Otherwise if Ed believed they weren't capable of providing at least the same quality service to NA then they would have sought another publisher. The silent files are probably placeholders. Understandable since this is their first leap at publishing; and a foreign market too. Think about it; voice acting is a one-time job and the company owns the files, while it will serve thousands of customers who will enjoy the content and pay. And most voice actors are willing to continue for new content because it pays the bills. Ther are many VAs whose name appears again and again in various cartoons and movies. Really only if they hate the company, or over scheduled would they refuse, or if they're dead then nobody can do anything about that.

anyway most of the delay in content was due to Nexon relying on ED for coding, then translating the stuff. Sure ED can push out content faster with shoddy translation but why? Just to appease some weeabos who would stay loyal regardless while alienating the rest of the playerbase?
          Last edited by ceruulean; 09-27-2016, 12:49 PM.
          Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
          Who guards the guardians?

Comment

Originally posted by ceruulean View Post
            Well name inconsistencies in UI strings you can literally fix with wordseach in notepad

as for contracting existing actors I'm sure it's fine because unless Nexon somehow binds them legally (lol, it's more likely Nexon sought freelancers; I doubt they have an army of voice actors bound to only work for Nexon) really it's only if the actors are willing to continue doing the work. There is incentive to continue because the content is familiar after working with it before. ED just needs to make sure hey can communicate through the language barrier which is the hardest part. Also Ed can simply ask for the voice actors employed. The data is there and it's not like the companies hate each other; business is business.

considering how different English is from Korean i think it's necessary to translate in order to reach the western market. Keeping the voices Korean deters many people since they contain engrish. Maybe if the voices just had sounds and no worrds it would be ok but that's not the case.

plus ED reclaimed DNNa because they believe they can do better than Nexon. It makes no sense to go the cheap way. Otherwise if Ed believed they weren't capable of providing at least the same quality service to NA then they would have sought another publisher. The silent files are probably placeholders. Understandable since this is their first leap at publishing; and a foreign market too.

anyway most of the delay in content was due to Nexon relying on ED for coding, then translating the stuff. Sure ED can push out content faster with shoddy translation but why? Just to appease some weeabos who would stay loyal regardless while alienating the rest of the playerbase?
            Ok.. But, as I checked, all -new- (non-90-cap) voices are silenced. They are all 5kb and have no sound. So, by keeping the NA voices, we will be stuck with a partial voice pack. A voice right before 93 cap storyline will work, or old npcs will work, but as soon as you get to new content, nothing. Currently, you have a ton of inconsistencies. These may get fixed in a patch right before ED launches the server, but who knows. You have inconsistent translations that will likely confuse many. You have many missing voices because of (likely) cheaping out, and I understand that, because they wouldn't be taking over the server if it was actually making good money, and are taking a risk in hosting it themselves.

Ultimately, players want change. They want the chance to vote on the direction of the game. That includes voices, and translations, both of which are very much so in control by ED. They only have one chance to make big changes like this, so many would agree now is the time to go for it.

The poll speaks for itself. Only about 20% of players want it to stay exactly the way it was before. 80% want change, one way or another. The poll still has a ways to go, but that number cannot be ignored.
            Last edited by Vinn101; 09-27-2016, 01:18 PM.

Comment

You speak as if the files will stay silent forever. If Nexon can change the warrior and sorc files, Ed can put in new voice files when it's all ready. If they intend to use KR voices from now on they would of swapped it all from the get go because that's easy. Instead they put in placeholders. Now if they intend to keep the files silent I understand that's stupid and I'd rather have Kr voices than no voices.

Ed also has $$$$$. They're taking a risk with NA yes, so they'll do whatever it takes to succeed within a reasonable investment. Voice acting is a relatively cheap investment considering they already have profits from the ip used in DN movie and merchandise in Asia. And they'll have to set up translation and hiring VA infrastructure anyway if they're going to try to reach an English-speaking market that will be the basis for ALL their games. Heck they already have translators, it's just a matter of finding editors who will work with the translators long-term to refine the grammar. Basically creating a publishing branch and procedure for their games. It's possible they wanted to publish for a while but never did anything until Ed jumped on a chance with Nexons contract ending. NA will be the Guinea pig because it's already failing. If they succeed, more $$$$. If they fail, they have the established Asian versions to cushion the fall. Otherwise why not just find a new NA publisher like they do with other versions?

Also your poll has selection bias because only people browsing the forums and passionate enough for KR voices would vote. People who like NA voices are probably not bothered to vote because continuing Nexons status quo of localized voices is expected.

Localizations are standard for all forms of entertainment released world-wide, whether it be subtitles or full on voiceovers. Ed has the money for voiceovers, so don't make it out like they can't.
              Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
              Who guards the guardians?

Comment

Originally posted by ceruulean View Post
                You speak as if the files will stay silent forever. If Nexon can change the warrior and sorc files, Ed can put in new voice files when it's all ready. If they intend to use KR voices from now on they would of swapped it all from the get go because that's easy. Instead they put in placeholders. Now if they intend to keep the files silent I understand that's stupid and I'd rather have Kr voices than no voices.

Ed also has $$$$$. They're taking a risk with NA yes, so they'll do whatever it takes to succeed within a reasonable investment. Voice acting is a relatively cheap investment considering they already have profits from the ip used in DN movie and merchandise in Asia. And they'll have to set up translation and hiring VA infrastructure anyway if they're going to try to reach an English-speaking market that will be the basis for ALL their games. Heck they already have translators, it's just a matter of finding editors who will work with the translators long-term to refine the grammar. Basically creating a publishing branch and procedure for their games. It's possible they wanted to publish for a while but never did anything until Ed jumped on a chance with Nexons contract ending. NA will be the Guinea pig because it's already failing. If they succeed, more $$$$. If they fail, they have the established Asian versions to cushion the fall. Otherwise why not just find a new NA publisher like they do with other versions?

Also your poll has selection bias because only people browsing the forums and passionate enough for KR voices would vote. People who like NA voices are probably not bothered to vote because continuing Nexons status quo of localized voices is expected.

Localizations are standard for all forms of entertainment released world-wide, whether it be subtitles or full on voiceovers. Ed has the money for voiceovers, so don't make it out like they can't.
                Let's say they do have the money for it. Explain to me, then, why all new content (post-90 cap) is silenced out. All are 5kb after that point, with no voices. The pre-93 cap voices are all in, of course, but nothing beyond that is made. They blatantly silenced all new voices post-93 cap. This goes in line with other findings such as all new translations mentioning original storyline names rather than Nexon names, and thus being a mix-match of old and new namings.

Comment

Personally.... I'd just like the option to choose between korean and english voices. that's my only comment for the topic because I just skimmed :x

Comment

Originally posted by SPACEBAR View Post
                    Personally.... I'd just like the option to choose between korean and english voices. that's my only comment for the topic because I just skimmed :x
                    I think many people are in that same boat. They want options. :X

Comment

Yeah options would be nice cause it's awful listening to these English voices.
                      I login every once and a while.

Comment

Truthfully speaking, I have yet to run across someone who likes the NA voices. I personally prefer JP, but don't have a problem with KR being the default because it makes us more in line with other versions.

Also, I suggest changing the class & skill names back to the original English translations. (i.e. Gravity Well -> Switch Gravity; Chaos Mage -> Majesty)

The NA names only make it confusing for everyone. Let's go back to our roots

Comment

• Goodwill
                          Goodwill commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Guess I'm your first. Out of all the people I've played with, only one of them preferred Korean voices. Even then it was only because they changed the Warrior's original english VA.

I prefer the english voices because they are more interesting and vibrant. Usually I don't and I usually find english voices to fall flat. But in Dragon Nest, they made the game more fun for me. Even some of the dry deliveries seem a bit more appropriate given that the animations and textures are pretty dry as well.

I've never felt like modding an online game. Always giving a feeling that it's somewhat against EULA.
                        But, plz. NA voice is really terrible.
                        I do not mean all of them. For NPC voice line and some class, it's OK.
                        However, warrior voice is completely nightmare. WTF is this. W! T! F!
                        Korean warrior voice is the best even JP ver, can not match it. NA warrior sounds just like a 20-30 years old Gay. A gay with colorful clothes and perfume. And, warrior character is a little boy. HE'S A BOY! YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO HIM!
                        And some skills like Hot Rod from Pyromancer... OMG you just successfully freaked the hellaouta me... I am so scared...I know you're excited but can u just control a bit? You're voice acting now...

Some great voice to my own opinion KR warrior, JP Mage/ Lancea/ Machi/Priest.(they're pro.). NA Lancea is also decent.

My main was lunarlord and pyro... now I do not wanna touch these 2 classes anymore just because of the voice...

Comment

Warrior - Nicolas Roye
                          Cleric - stay the same is good
                          Archer - Cristina Vee
                          Academic - Kate Higgins
                          Lancea - Melissa Fahn
                          Machina - Sandy Fox
                          Assassin - Brian Beacock
                          Sorceress - Brianna Knickerbocker

-w-)b thats if eyedentity could afford it which I know they can.

Comment

Line Drive instead of Poopy Frenzied Charge. I'm not sure if LK will change to ML, but just saying. Those Dark Avenger voices just raped the living crap out to the warrior voices.

Comment

Working...
                            X