Raven gameplay discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raven gameplay discussion

Hi there, I'll go straight to the point...as i have seen no in-depth guides for Raven i think maybe we could share things we know about the class...especially maximizing damage output.

We all know that Raven is pretty much a "use everything you can" class but what about proper rotations or maximizing damage and not just throwing everything because you can and you must (although this is pretty much the summary of how Raven works)

First let's identify the "problems", here are some things i noticed:

1. Rain Drop has a slightly long cast time especially if using all three consecutively.
    2. Guillotine Cross has a rather awkward pause after it hits, which means you can be vulnerable for about a second.
    3. You rarely use The End.
    4. Guillotine Cross' screen lock.
    5. Triple Rake is somewhat unreliable. (Sometimes you'll be able to do it, most of the time you won't...or maybe that's just me)
    6. Guillotine Cross' hitbox? (this literally just popped up in my mind just this moment and i'm at work atm so i can't test this out)

With the problems i stated above these are the "solutions" i came up with:
    1. Like the usual rotations, use Rain Drop in between other skills.
    2. For this you can use Burning Coal to finish the animation, but i have something else for this which i will discuss later.
    3. I'm guessing The End should be used more as a dodging skill? that way you can DPS while dodging a stomp or something. Or use Crippling Punisher.
    4. No solution for this except for the Burning Coal.
    5. Okay, so what i do here is i tumble backwards and aim Triple Edge higher, immediately using Rake INS as the knives are thrown.
    6. Haven't tested yet.

Why Crippling Punisher?
    -First, it gives you action speed, meaning you can cast all these skills a lot faster.
    -Second, it's easier to use triple Rain Drop.
    -Third, you can use Triple Edge > Guillotine Cross > Rake INS immediately as GC hits to cancel the remainder of GC animation, rather than using Burning Coal.
    -Its duration is the same as Dedicate Crow, which means using this as the fight starts will theoretically yield greater damage output. Just make sure you debuff first before using all your buffs.

Additional notes:
    -Always use Dedicate Crow if boss HP is above 50%
    -Always debuff before DPS
    -It's better to use Crippling Punisher > Dedicate Crow to maximize the additional damage of Dedicate Crow.
    -Always use Crow Storm when off CD, unless you need to dodge something
    -When dodging using Tumble always follow-up with Triple Edge > Rake INS 2x, if possible, unless you need to use Illusion Step.
    -Applause CD and Punishment CD plates would give you a debuff downtime of around 1-2 secs
    -Rake DMG benefits Rake INS as well? (does it? haven't tested it out yet)

There you go, these are all my observations and personal stuff about Raven, if you know something else feel free to comment. This is a discussion after all.

i do hope someone makes an in-depth guide
    "Behind every mask lies a man who can't live in his own sins..."

1. Rain Drop, being a CTC skill, is best used altogether at once when all buffs and debuffs have been applied.

2. If you have access to Willpower Fragment or Lancea's Harmonize buffs, you can cancel Guillotine Cross awkward pause with Rake INS. Way faster than Burning Coal and more efficient since you can immediately refill your Steal while also dealing damage. It is possible, albeit very hard, to do this method without any form of action speed buff.

3. The End can be used to deal damage from afar when other skills just won't cut it (i.e Rune 1st stage, intersection flame breath). In most cases, however, Crippling Punisher would be far better choice due to its action speed buff.

4. Not many solution except taking your time to predict the boss behavior for the next 2 seconds or so. Shouldn't be too much of a problem.

5. Triple Rake is often bugged to deal no damage, that you're better off playing normally without relying on it to occur.

6. About as far and wide as Chain Combination attack.

Comment

• KillianQ
      KillianQ commented
      Editing a comment
      for #5 you can use other skills first before using the second Rake INS in order for it to deal damage...I usually do Triple Edge > Rake INS > Open Edge > Rake INS...I think linking Star Combination with or without Crow Storm link will do too but the combo I stated has been a habit of mine ever since 93-cap

btw, does GC deal less damage to up-close targets or no damage at all?

• NearLawlet
      NearLawlet commented
      Editing a comment
      What I mean is, making sure Triple Edge hits again AFTER the first Rake INS is just too much of a hassle. I barely have any time to even cast Chain Combination since my rotation revolves around casting Guillotine Cross as often as I can, regardless of buff/debuff status (though I did try to apply them whenever possible).

As for GC dealing lower damage than it's supposed to... I did experience and notice this issue as well, though I can't say for sure what caused it. GC never had that big of AOE, so missing at point blank range is understandable as long as the chains don't hit the approximate area around your target.
      Last edited by NearLawlet; 02-13-2018, 11:41 AM.

What kind of work did you do at 2:46 am or are you on a different timezone...?

On topic, I rarely use chain combination if at all, heck I don't even use applause ex hit, just do the double hit for debuff and move on since there's 4 skills that gives 2 steals each to unleash guillotine cross off cd nowadays.
    The End is becoming a niche skill now coz if you use it solely for damage, you actually lose dps but I still keep it at lvl 3 in case I need it.
    I saw some Raven even equipped a cd plate for Crippling Punisher, depends on how much you rely on it I guess, not a fan of it though.

Comment

• KillianQ
      KillianQ commented
      Editing a comment
      graveyard shift, y'know...call center stuff

Anyways, i never actually considered using Crippling Punisher CD...guess i'll try swapping it out with Rake DMG to see which gives more DPS, let's say, within the whole duration of Dedicate Crow

• Knee
      Knee commented
      Editing a comment
      KillianQ Rake DMG is one of the staple plate for Raven.
      Last time I checked it affects both Rake and Rake INS, it is core.
      Haven't really test it anytime recent.
      Replace other plates if you want to try CP -cd.

I currently use Punishment -CD, Fade -CD, Rake +DMG and Applause -CD.
      Ever since the latest balancing, I want to change the Applause -CD out since 3 sec downtime is perfectly fine actually but still don't know what's best to replace it with, CDF +DMG and Edged Fan -CD being the most likely candidates for now.

• KillianQ
      KillianQ commented
      Editing a comment
      we're running the same plates...do you think it's better to swap out frequent double hit Applause + debuff uptime for action speed or more CDF damage? it's a lot of testing to do and i currently don't have the time to test things out

and btw if i may ask, why Edged Fan CD? if it's for Steal gathering then why not just rely on Knife Combination? which you can technically spam repeatedly during Rake EX and Rake INS
Working...
X