X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Guardian's Stronghold: Misc Class Information and QA

UNDER CONSTRUCTION DUE TO REWORK

What is this?
    Just a place for me to dump whatever Guardian related knowledge I have since people always ask me, so I'll be slowly filling these posts with information.
    Also, you can ask questions about the class and have them answered by me or other Guard mains that want to chime in.

Keep in mind that this is a reference and not a guide - you will find everything you need to know about the class itself but there won't be much of any gameplay information due to the wide variety of styles and needs that Guardian has. Play what you feel comfortable doing and to what your raid teams require. I believe that every Guardian should have their own style that they create tailored to their needs and wants instead of a One True Way to play the class.

Who are you?
    In-game I go by Vahrdian (my main Guardian) and Vahr (my kinda-sorta-other-main LK).

I've played DN since around 50 cap on and off but only really starting playing seriously at the end of 70 cap. I've played paladin since I started, maining my Crusader (Vahrheit) until early 80 cap when I started playing DPS Guardian (which I've found to be my calling and have mained ever since. Not going to say what Vahrdian's original name was cuz it was some nonsense name).

Also, join the DN Class Discussion Discord's #paladin channel! So if you have questions, want to help people out, want to chat with fellow players of your class, learn about other classes, or just lurk around and absorb info in one central location, you should join!

My Skill Build
    Skill Build (Lv 95 Reworked) [LINK]

Glossary and related terms
    • Guardian's Grace is the class bubble stacking system for Guardians, capping out at 10 Graces. Generally when speaking in context of Guardian, these are referred to as Graces or Stacks. Somewhat confusingly, these can also be referred to as Bubbles (see Bubble)
    • Bubble - Another term for Divine Barrier. Can also refer to Guardian's Graces when used in the plural, confusingly enough. Use context to figure out which is being referred to. In this thread, I will always refer to Bubble to mean Divine Barrier and Graces to mean Guardian's Graces.
    • Justice Crash - The SEA/translated name for Falling Angel. Almost nobody uses the NA name, and as such this skill will always be referred to as Justice Crash.
    • Stance Parrying - The short (~2s) version of Stance of Faith. Usually shortened to just "Stancing" or "Parrying."
    • Just-in-time (JIT) Stance/Parry - A successful "accurate timing" usage of Stance of Faith which grants extra Graces as well as healing you (with the awakening). See the skill descriptions.
    • 'voke - Short for Provoke. The verb form 'voking is the act of using Provoke to get the target's aggro.
    • Bubble Tanking - Facetanking hits with Bubble active. This can be both for the damage absorption or for the SA tanking.
    • Punishment - Short for Divine Punishment
    • HoGing/Hogging - The act of using Heart of Glory. VIT buff (and subsequent HP boost) removed with rework. Also an indication that the Guardian is intending to ignore raid mechanics/hazards, as the skill renders you invincible to all but a certain few mechanics.
    • God Bubble/HoG Bubble/Super Bubble - A clean Bubble given after using Heart of Glory and triggering Class Mastery I, which has absurdly high HP and can let normally squishy characters tank an immense amount of damage. See the section about Bubble for more info.
    • Double Blocking - The act of using Block combined with Stance of Faith to earn an extra Grace with each successful parry.

Common acronyms
    • OW - Overwhelm
    • TF - Thrust Force
    • JC - Justice Crash
    • DA - Divine Ascension
    • DAEX - Divine Ascension EX (used to refer to the bolt itself)
    • DV - Divine Vengeance
    • DP - Divine Punishment
    • DPEX - Divine Punishment EX (more common than DP)
    • DJ - Divine Judgement
    • AB - Armor Break
    • SC - Shield Charge
    • IW - Iron Will
    • HoG - Heart of Glory

Calculating damage for Grace-using skills (DA, AB, OW, Bubble)

Removed with rework (graces no longer grant damage).

Bubble mechanics
    • The HP of Bubble is 25% of the target's max HP.
    • The HP of Bubble is not refreshed when the duration is refreshed. The shield needs to be broken or expired and then reapplied to have the full HP. This also includes Bubbles of different HP than the original as well, meaning that if you want to drop a God Bubble on the team, you MUST allow the previous shield to expire or break first before applying the God Bubble.
    • Bubble gains any defensive stats and buffs the player has (it is equivalent to HP)
    • Bubble does not protect against status effect inflicted damage (burns, poison, etc)
    • Some skills (mostly percent HP based skills) ignore Bubble and apply the damage directly to your underlying HP. Most of them also buff wipe too anyways.
    • There are 10 shards per cast of [Awakened] Bubble. Casting bubble at point blank will get off all 11 hits (1 from the AoE, 10 from the shards).

Divine Punishment/Class Mastery I HP Boost

Removed with rework.

Graces
    The below information assumes a full skill tree (as linked above) and takes into account skill EXs and Class Masteries.
    The following skills generate Guardian Graces:
    • Stance of Faith: Upon casting, +1
    • Stance of Faith Block: Upon successful block with Stance of Faith, +2?; upon successful accurate block with Stance of Faith, additional +2? (for a total of +4?)
    • Divine Vengeance: Upon striking an enemy, +1
    • Divine Ascension: Upon striking an enemy, +1
    • Shield Blow: Upon striking an enemy, +1
    • Armor Break: Upon striking an enemy, +1
    • Block: Upon successfully blocking with Block or Autoblock, +1. Stacks with Stance of Faith.
    • Heart of Glory: Upon casting, +10

The following skills consume Guardian Graces
    • Bubble: Upon casting, -3
    • Overwhelm: Upon using the left click second hit, -3
    • Thrust Force: Upon casting, -1

Class Scalings
    VIT to HP: 30
    STR to PDMG: 0.75
    AGI to PDMG: 0.25
    INT to MDMG: 0.25
    VIT to PDEF: 0.60
    INT to MDEF: 0.30
    AGI to CRIT: 6.00
    STR/INT to CRITDMG: 3.00
    AGI to CRITRESIST: 10.5

Guardian has the same STR to PDMG scaling as all the other STR classes and the third highest AGI to CRIT scaling (after Priest (#1) and Dragoon (#2) tied with LK).

Incorrect or unclear skill tooltips
    • Stance of Faith EX adds 2 additional graces to the accurately timed block, for a total of 5 graces possible.
    • Justice Crash reduces the damage dealt by the target, assuming the target doesn't resist the effect.
    • [Awakened] Armor Break lists a 300% bonus and a 100% extra hit. The total damage is actually 9.3x the board damage. See coefficient table below.
    • Overwhelm lists the extra hit as 100% damage. That's 100% of the first burst, effectively doubling the board damage. See coefficient table below.
    • [Awakened] Guardian Force is the awakening passive for Divine Barrier/Bubble. It also states "When [Divine Avatar] is used" which is the SEA name for Heart of Glory.
    • Armor Break when unawakened says it reduces enemies defenses by some percentage (774% at rank 10). That's the damage it deals - the debuff amount is 20% (which is listed right below). Also confusingly enough, it seems to imply that it increases your own damage, which is not the case (its a debuff on the enemy, just like the Swordmaster skill Luring Slice). The Awakening enhanced tooltip is more clear but also retains the weird implication.

Bugs
    • Thrust Force and Stance of Faith can occasionally launch your character out of the map/arena. Just unstuck when trapped when that happens.
    • Justice Crash can occasionally cause your Guardian to be able to walk in the air if interrupted.
    • Getting your Super Armor broken during Justice Crash can cause you to hang in midair in the falling animation indefinitely. Aerial Evade or unstuck when trapped to escape.

Resisted Effects
    The following 8 man raid bosses ignore Provoke:
    • Red Dragon Nest
      • Barbados
      • Jasmine
      • Black Dragon Pether's Ghost
    • Ice Dragon Nest
      • Killing Machine Balapa
      • Ice Dragon Phase 1 Punishers
    • Rune Dragon Nest
      • Evil Knight Hlongnir (after unleashing power)
      • Rune Dragon Mamon Phase 1 (not that it matters)

Last edited by Vahrheit; 05-10-2018, 07:55 PM.
    WahrBot developer | Divinitor developer | My twitch.tv | Discord: Vahr#9959

I swear I'm an LK main

Comprehensive List of Blockable/Stancable Skills (8 Man Raids)

Red Dragon
    TODO

Ice Dragon
    TODO

Rune Dragon
    TODO
    Last edited by Vahrheit; 03-20-2017, 03:22 PM.

I swear I'm an LK main

Comment

Technical Things and Stuff
      UNDER CONSTRUCTION DUE TO REWORK

Skill Coefficients
      Last edited by Vahrheit; 05-10-2018, 07:53 PM.

I swear I'm an LK main

Comment

Your last-time Red Dragon stream inspired me to create a Guardian.

REPENT!
        Dragoon
        TypeNull - Bleed Phantom

Comment

Just gonna say that our buffs to DA and JC really really show LOL. Oh the damage.

I swear I'm an LK main

Comment

I'm planning on making a guardian as i've always wanted one but how does a Guardian fare against a Crusader in terms of gameplay?
            what are the big differences and which one is played more?
            -inactive forum account-
            new forum account: Anthelus

Comment

Cerebelum
              Tbh their gameplay is similar these days. In the past crusader was more ranged so you can assist in certain dps checks while guardians have to run up to everything but now saders 50 requires you to be point blank to do the most damage. Saders are still more ranged than guardians in general but it's something to think about. Basically Saders use their flail/mace more while guards use their shield as a weapon lool. If you like aggressive proactive then go sader. Guard is reliant on parry stance so if you like parry stance then go guard.
              Most of the differences come in their party role, tank vs dp.
              Either way as a sader you'll find yourself sub-tanking a lot so if you like the challenge of dps-tanking go sader (You sacrifice dps to tank) Otherwise if you want to tank perfectly go guard (you sacrifice support to dps)

oh oh yeah guard also has bubble management so some people find that tedious. Sader is more freestyle
              Last edited by ceruulean; 09-30-2016, 10:50 AM.
              Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
              Who guards the guardians?

Comment

What about pvp?

Comment

Originally posted by ceruulean View Post
                  Cerebelum
                  -snip-
                  thank you I find challenges interesting seeing as how I mained and solo'd lvl as a Saint from the ground up lmao so I might go a guardian i suppose. I love my Saint but my new Cleric has the kewl costumes so idk ;'c
                  -inactive forum account-
                  new forum account: Anthelus

Comment

Originally posted by Aerious View Post
                    What about pvp?
                    guard that class that take its sweet time and burst with jc while sader can output more consistently

With the new awakening since guards get shield charge and armor break pvp staples if you want to continue with classic paladin style, now with rhape train Force Thrust and Maelstrom Howl guard would be ur choice however a sader has easier time building hybrid pvp/pve builds because their tree has always been more effective in combat. Sader got that divine combo, smite spam and now charitable zap cd redux, and they can be a windwalker for 2 seconds with fallen-star-angel, and they still have their ranged capabilities with relic and hammer
                    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                    Who guards the guardians?

Comment

NOTE: THIS POST IS FROM BEFORE AWAKENING AND DOESN'T REALLY APPLY ANYMORE.

Ceruulean basically covered it. I won't comment on PvP since I'm not much of a PvPer, but PvE wise off the top of my head early in the morning:

Guardian:
                      Traditionally support focused, you spend the majority of your time managing aggro and bubbling.
                      Fully melee
                      Made of iframes (DA, DV, Smite, JC, tumble, shin breaker)
                      Can block 24/7 if correctly rotating between stance and block (not hard)
                      DPS tends to seem bursty cuz of JC, but in actuality a significant portion of your damage comes from DA (especially now that DA is 4k%).
                      Damage meter is broken as hell and doesn't report skill breakdown correctly (hint: sacred hammering is not your top DPS)
                      I agree that a support guardian is much more passive, but DPS guardians are extremely aggressive due to the need to maintain graces while constantly DPSing with DA, as there's basically no break in your damage.

Crusader:
                      Traditionally DPS focused. Depending on your team comp, if you have a destro or guard, then you're full DPS. If you're the only one with a provoke, you're semi/off tanking.
                      When you tank, you provoke and depending on the situation you will kite the boss or you'll just iframe like a boss. Your DPS will suffer though since you'll be forced to time your skill usages to not get caught and hit, as Goddess Relic, JHammer, Smite EXi, and Zap are not iframes and most of those have decent cast times or animation locks.
                      Rangewise you're midrange and melee. Generally speaking the more aggressive you are the closer to the boss you are.
                      JHammer unfortunately only does damage if used at point blank (reverse of what we're used to before)
                      Damage meter mostly works
                      Debuff responsibility with Godess Relic
                      Spending most of your time smite spamming
                      Smite EXi has a 15% light debuff if it electrocutes, so always use it early in your rotation (usually my rotation looks like Relic -> SC -> Smite EXi -> Smite -> JH ... )

Both classes are perfectly capable of hybrid roles (support DPS/DPS support), it just requires skill to manage your resources and knowing when to prioritize.
                      Last edited by Vahrheit; 08-26-2017, 12:25 PM.

I swear I'm an LK main

Comment

• Tsunayoshi
                        Tsunayoshi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        for the iframes on DV, is it the whole duration or a on certain frames?

I forgot to ask and I haven't seen you in game to look. What do you recommend for talismans/slots

Comment

Crest slots that is.

Comment

Stat Crests
                          Core 8: STR, PHYS, MDEF, DEF, HP, VIT, AGI, CRIT
                          Additional/Nice ones to have: Defensive, Offensive, Ultimate, INT

Skill Crests (Pre-awakening) - No Longer Relevant
                          Pick any, although the more important/core plates are listed first
                          JC Cooldown
                          Sliding Step Mana Recovery
                          Stance Duration
                          Block Cooldown
                          Smite Damage
                          Divine Ascension Damage
                          Roundhouse Kick AS
                          Holy Kick AS

Skill Crests (Post-awakening)
                          JC Cooldown
                          Divine Ascension Damage
                          Armor Break
                          Free slot - can take Sliding Step Mana, kick plates, block cooldown, DV damage... up to you

Talismans
                          My setup:
                          200%: Ultimate, STR, Light
                          175%: AGI, PHYS, CRITDMG
                          125%: CRIT, HP, VIT
                          100%: DEF, MDEF, INT

Tank Oriented:
                          200%: VIT, HP
                          175%: MDEF, DEF
                          125%: STR, PHYS
                          100%: Free spots
                          Last edited by Vahrheit; 03-29-2017, 01:51 PM.

I swear I'm an LK main

Comment

Any info on a possible pre and post awakening skill builds so we can plan it out without wasting money for skill reset?
                            Anthelus - Exiled Guardian
                            Shinzu - Barbarian of Soar
                            Xinzu - Ronin Saint
                            Rinzu - Gladiator of none
                            Singular - anal Destroyer
                            Muzu - anal driller
                            DaddyKun#9170

Comment

Working...
                            X