Chaos Mage Buffs and Skill Updates!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chaos Mage Buffs and Skill Updates!

In the patch we received this morning, Chaos Mage was given a buff in PvE increasing the damage of Triple Orbs, Comet, and Gravity Crush, and reducing the cooldowns of Black Hole, Comet, and Gravity Crush. There was also a PvP nerf removing the ability to reset Triple Orbs using Gravity Spark, essentially removing Chaos Mage's ability to lock people into a permanent orb combo.
    Here is a list of all of the class changes. Click image for larger version

Name:	Chaos Mage Update.png
Views:	228
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	64388
    1st. The buff to Triple Orbs is freaking insane. As the class' main source of dps (ranging 60-65% of all damage in golem testing) this buff is a 55% increase of the skill value. This change alone increases the dps potential of Chaos Mages by 35%. Needless to say this is basically the entire reason Chaos Mage is now debated to be an S tier dps class.

2nd. Buffing Black Hole by reducing the cooldown sadly isn't too significant and I actually don't even cast this skill when doing dps testing in Training Grounds because the cast time is too long and lowers your dps. In daily dungeons and special dungeons though having Black Hole up more often is great for wave clear and CC.

3rd. Something to note with Comet is that the damage was already much higher than the tooltip that previously stated 2728%, and was closer to about 3755% after damage testing on the Training Golem. With the update I expected Comet's damage to yet again be higher than the tooltip stated and after testing today using broken weapons to cause the numbers to be exactly the same on every cast, I came to the conclusion that the damage on Comet is exactly 5774% and not 4042% making the skill basically our best filler.

4th. The damage increase on Gravity Crush isn't too significant, but the real change here is the reduction in cooldown. Before this update, the downtime of the elemental debuff from this skill was 15 seconds, meaning when the debuff expired, there was 15 seconds until the skill came back up in order to reapply the debuff. With this change there is now only 6 seconds between when the debuff ends and when the skill comes back up, significantly increasing the debuff uptime and adding a lot of potential to your dps.

And lastly the removal of Gravity Spark reset in pvp is honestly a little extreme considering Chaos Mage's instant is one of their most important combo starting skills and will therefore significantly reduce the strength of the class, essentially lowering Chaos Mage to debateably the weakest sorceress in PvP. It's a little extreme but I've pretty much gotten over it, the two Elementalist specs have always been stronger than the Mystics and this pretty much solidifies that fact. Nothing we can do about it now.

And now for some dps comparisons!
    First here is a 50b golem test I did before we received the buff (a test where you kill 10 golems in a row in order to show a regulated dps potential in long running content, i.e. raids).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	.eJwNybEOgyAUQNF_YYcHDxRxdu7akRAgaKJi4HVq-u9lOzf3yz7tZCvbiZ6-AqSjx9qS6FRbKFmUWsuZw3N0EesFgSjE_co3dUBEO7vZaeU0Wq2NAS3VYpcxcEBN0kjYXn6E5dJwhX5AGz45_85JPHdhvz-SXSYN.yY23szNTHQwsHWi94wOhwPxlsM8?width=1204&height=678.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	64389
    And then this is my dps after the buff (with the exact same gear and stats).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	.eJwNwksKwyAQANC7uFfHT5wh69JlryBixAhJDDpdld69fbyPeI9DrGJnvueq9dZm**NTk_tItajaez1KuttUuZ86Mae8n-XiqW0gj-BxCYQQMNCiHVjn0AUiMATeEunHK1owKMFL4yOA_Hc2PkdT91XF9weXDyYa.PWPHeNJh_d2cRxY3zayVxWVhdUk?width=1204&height=678.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	64390
    As you can see from the screenshots (or at least try to see since the upload quality is so low, lol) my dps went up from 105m to 148m which is almost exactly 40% of an increase.

Looking at the Skill Description page, you can see that the percentages on Triple Orbs and Gravity Crush went up, since their buffs were the most significant, and the percentages on Gravity Blast and Gravity Well went down in result since their contribution to Chaos Mage dps is now less significant. Also the buff to Comet made it actually worth casting in Training Grounds where as before the damage was too low to be worth getting locked in the cast animation.

Overall the buff is an incredible increase to Chaos Mage dps even if its a little lopsided with a heavy reliance on Triple Orbs. And in the end its a great thing to see one of the less common classes receive a buff that boosts them to potentially top tier dps. Hopefully in the future War Mage will see some love as well since we know they need it too. ♥

IGN: Echoes
    DISC: Echelos#0677
    Last edited by Echelos; 04-19-2017, 05:10 AM.
    http://image.prntscr.com/image/65551e74c5214239a9129ec76c6e2973.png

Wow that class definitely got a good buff

Comment

• Echelos
      Echelos commented
      Editing a comment
      o man i kno rite. so excited. xD

Great read and I love how you explain things in the highest of details. Thank you for your insight. =)

Comment

• Echelos
      Echelos commented
      Editing a comment
      omg trang ur da best. ♥-♥

Echo the grand master of chaos mages stepping out to the light and blessing us with your advice ;3
    Discord ID: Bubzie#2895

*Noticed* -Yaya

Comment

• Echelos
      Echelos commented
      Editing a comment
      omg emily pls. >///<
      Last edited by Echelos; 04-14-2017, 09:25 AM.

No, Chaos Mages are not Weak in PVP, they still need Gravity Ball SAB lowered, and Gravity Crush 2 minute cooldown.
    But wow nice pve dps, how does it fare in IDN where the boss isn't as stationary?

Comment

I like how your first comment is to complain about the class in PvP like its hard to fight against Chaos Mages. If you're having a difficult time practice will help.
      Last edited by Echelos; 04-17-2017, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Echelos View Post
        I like how your first comment is to complain about the class in PvP like its hard to fight against Chaos Mages. If you're having a difficult time practice will help.
        Yeah practice will help because it totally takes a lot of skill to aim Gravity Ascension Ex and ending the round as a result.

Did you really just say Chaos mages are easy to fight against? sure the nerf made them not as braindead, but they are still extremely strong and still extremely broken in 1v1.
        So yes, it is hard to fight against Chaos Mages~

The reason the first thing I mentioned in pvp was because when you said.

"And lastly the removal of Gravity Spark reset in pvp is honestly a little extreme considering Chaos Mage's instant is one of their most important combo starting skills and will therefore significantly reduce the strength of the class, essentially lowering Chaos Mage to debateably the weakest sorceress in PvP."

I was like...

Chaos Mage Skillset

-High Defenses when their rng shield saves them ( Damage reduced by 40% really?!!! )
        -3 evades ( Air evade Power tumble shield )
        -Time dodge counter -> Timestop -> Get rekt
        -Gravity ball that explodes thrice with stupid SAB easy to punish any melee class
        -2 Instants
        -Teleport visual glitch shows them teleporting somewhere else when they are actually near you
        -Teleport now knocks down -> easy Gravity well burst
        -Arguably one of the strongest 50 skills in dragon nest
        -Gravity crush
        -almost every skill causes flinch and easily punishes the slightest positioning mistake
        -The best tumble in the game
        -Wake up attack can't be punished
        - Poison Ground lock

So in total

Crowd Control - A [ High amounts of aoe and easily punishes after wasting a tumble, but not as absurd crowd control as adept ]
        Damage - A [ Very high damage when caught in poison ground lock, or hit by the entire gravity well]
        Defense - S+ [Highest in the game with rng shield if it adds a flat 40%, if not then I am wrong but it is still very high]
        Evades - S [ 3 Evades? ]
        Mobility - S [Teleport spam every 8 seconds when plated, then tons of CM's Dash abuse]
        Utility - S [Read chaos mage skillset]
        Ease of Gameplay - S [Read chaos mage skillset]

Comment

I'm confused what you're comparing Chaos Mage to exactly, considering I stated weakest sorceress, because yes both Pyromancer and Ice Witch have always been stronger than Chaos Mage and War Mage. This isn't a dispute or questionable statement, its just how the game has always been. Both Elementalist specs have faster casting animations on nearly every skill, higher super armor from skills like inferno and fire wall, not to mention elemental shield, higher super armor break, and shorter cooldowns on their nuking skills. The only strength Chaos Mage ever has was its ability to take advantage Triple Orbs to hold people down in extended combos, but even then a Pyromancer can triple cast Fireball in 3 seconds and do just as much damage as it takes a Chaos Mage to do in a 15 second orb spam rotation.

Since awakening War Mages have been a little neglected and have by far the slowest casting skills for sorceresses considering their average damage, and were considered the lowest ranked sorc, but after this change to Chaos Mage removing their single strong trait, they're now basically in the same boat. No matter how difficult you feel it is to fight a good CM, a good Pyro or IW would need even less effort to win.

Comment

• Omnicide
            Omnicide commented
            Editing a comment
            Elestra > Majesty > Saleana > Smasher
            They haven't always been stronger either, in 80 cap Majesty was #1 sorc.
            In 90 Cap, both elementalists were not really much of a threat either, Chaos mage was way stronger.

I am comparing your class to well any other class, after you said that If i am having trouble with them I should practice, I do practice but it doesn't change the fact that Chaos mage needs far less skill to play than my class, and easily punishes 80% of the classes in dragon nest including mine.
            Last edited by Omnicide; 04-19-2017, 06:43 AM.

• Echelos
            Echelos commented
            Editing a comment
            If that's your opinion then that's fine, but it doesn't make you right.

• Omnicide
            Omnicide commented
            Editing a comment
            Same to you~

wao how come ur dps is lower than mine but I die quicker in ladder ;/////////////////

Comment

• Echelos
            Echelos commented
            Editing a comment
            cuz u gotta have dem ladder skillz bruh. :3c
            also to be fair my dps is up like 20m since I made this lol.
        Working...
        X