Community Events need a serious rework

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Community Events need a serious rework

Hi everyone, I'm Tiyara, or better known as ClariS. If you guys aren't aware, I won some DNP in a popularity contest.

But that's why I'm making this post.

When N*xon was hosting the community events, everybody could win. No matter how low effort a submission was, it had a chance of winning. Obviously, this angered the people who put in effort. I recall a person made an animated valentine's day card and did not win.

So I guess EyeD tried to improve it by introducing community vote and Staff's choice. Great, but now we're at another problem. There was only 1 Staff's choice and the 3 other winners were basically like who is more popular. People vote for who they know not who put out the best content.

Anyways, here is my suggestion for the next community event.

1) Remove popularity votes and increase the staff picks to 3 or 5.
    2) Give us back the RNG system and let 3 submissions win that way.
    and maybe...
    3) Let people choose which one they are submitting for- random or staff pick.

For example, John is an untalented man who is very busy. He doesn't think he will win staff pick so he submits his post as random. Cheng is a talented photoshop user and also a poet. He is confident he will get the staff's attention so he submits his post as staff pick.

Actually, for the most part it seems that ED's method of going about this event was working fine. Two out of three of the community choice winners had enough effort put into them where one could see why the community would vote for them. It's interesting that your submission is the only outlier.

Comment

idk seems fine.

random choosing might as well not be a contest and might as well not put any effort.

Comment

I dont think the recent commuinty even should have been based on likes. Like seriously did you see who won first thats insane. idk. its just like wow simple screeen shot

Comment

na the winners were the only ones who made the effort to advertise their pics or create accounts to like themselves

but really i only liked the submissions i was asked to (including 1st place) otherwise i would have completely ignored the contest
          Last edited by (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻; 11-10-2016, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ View Post
            na the winners were the only ones who made the effort to advertise their pics or create accounts to like themselves

but really i only liked the submissions i was asked to (including 1st place) otherwise i would have completely ignored the contest
            And that's what is wrong, you are not supposed to advertise your work to win, you are supposed to put a good amount of effort on the quality of your work to win. I agree this needs a change.

Comment

I don't mind there being a popularity category. But probably add in more categories so those who do put in effort or follow guidelines and theories have a good chance to win. Eg; for the screenshot contest, could've have categories like the most scariest photo, most original photo, or the most funniest photo. Obviously the one that won the popularity would not win any of those and those are spots opened to people who target that category.

Comment

Cant wait till you guys complain about whether or not something is actually artistic or looks good

Comment

Community Events = Popularity Contests

ppl need to understand that

Comment

Just my opinon, but if you factor community votes for contests, then they should only account for no more than 30% of the final judging.

I remembered an art contest Nexon had held on facebook a month or two after the tinkerer class was release, which I had entered with confidence. However, by the time the contest was nearing its end, I doubted I would even make 3rd place! There were many talented artists who entered, three of them had wonderfully breath taking images.

But, only one of those three had made it to the top three spots (third place), the other two didn't even get anywhere close, instead the first two spots were taken by entries of far less effort.

Well actually the second place winner's entry was at least decent, but the first place winner was barely that, yet they won due to the fact that they had the highest number of likes.

Now even though I had no chance at all, I still couldn't help but feel sympathetic for the artists who had put A LOT of time, patience, and effort into a work only to have it fall short because of a factor that could be abused with little to no effort.

Of course, randomly picking winners isn't much better.

Comment

That contest costed me a lot (not gonna get into that) but I do agree it needs to be reworked.

Something as abusable as likes should not determine how a winner is chosen.

I'd honestly leave it up to Eyedentity to choose if it were up to me.
                      Guild Master of FluffyTail
                      Donkay#9247

Donkay - 93 Inquisitor | Donkali - 93 Soul Eater

Donkali's Guide | Twitch

Comment

Tired of the way community events are turning out? Why not create your own event every 5 days and become an Apple Farmer?

At the start of the event you can plant Apples of Life on multiple characters and in 5 days when the event is over there's a guaranteed gold prize at the end. Anyone can win and anyone can participate.

Be the best. Become an Apple Farmer today.

Comment

Letting RNG decide some winners and letting the staff decide some is better than favoritism + popularity contest.

Comment

I don't understand why you made such a thread. Being the winner of this contest, you sound like you are justifying yourselves after hearing complaints. Your self-justification is simply making you look guilty of others' accusations, namely, 1) that your screenshot is crappy 2) you put little-to-no effort into it 3) you won by making hundred of accounts to like yourselves.

Honestly, I think you are a legit winner based on the following:

1. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Who can say your screenshot is not good enough to win the grand prize? To some people, your work may not reflect any effort, nor express any Halloween atmosphere and it may look like a crappy screenshot taken randomly by pressing the print screen key unknowingly. However, to yourselves, it could be a piece of valuable art.

2. It's not fair to say that you guys put no effort on this submission. I am actually amazed to see how quickly you gathered 102 likes and that was an excellent amount of effort.

3. There is no rule saying that you cannot like your own submission. Perhaps some other contestants have done the same thing. Since you are part of the community, you have all the rights to like any submission, including your own. However, liking yourselves over a hundred times might be a little overdoing it, but in the end, it is not against any rule.

Anyway, congratulations on winning but please pay some respect to the contest and to the other contestants next time. Although there are no specific rules, I believe players should have some decent amount of integrity in such contests. Your submission is a total mockery of the contest, though legit.
                            Last edited by Wizard; 11-11-2016, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• BaileySC
                              BaileySC commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I disagree with some parts you said. This system is unfair, and the person is just pointing this out. If someone was to work 3 hours on a painting and get 4 likes for it, but someone scribbled something for 2 seconds and got 200 likes for it, Wouldn't you feel some sort of disappointment or anything? Saying to pay respect to the other contestants when you probably weren't in the same situation (i dont know if you were) is unfair to the person. You don't know how the contestants feel, most likely disappointment about this system.

I agree with you, the events that have happened recently were all just spamming likes from guildies etc. This recent halloween event: someone literally put a photo and named it something non-halloween like and got dnp for it. No effort, just a photo and was able to win. It's unfair to the people who work hard and then end up losing because they got beat out of popularity from guildie spam likes. They should make it so it's more random, anonymous.

Comment

Working...
                            X