Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aaron View Post

"US".dragonnest.com
    The URL doesn't mean anything until the IP block is reinstated, and nobody wants that.

Comment

Originally posted by SaitoHikari View Post

The URL doesn't mean anything until the IP block is reinstated, and nobody wants that.
      It signifies which region this game's biggest and majority player base is. IP block or not, that is still the case as well. No one said the world revolved around DN. It's just a majority of DN NA's users are from... well the United States.

Anyways, my point being is that at its root, Dragon Nest mostly to the United States population. Other populations are becoming significant enough to not be ignored anymore, but the matter still stands.

Another point, telling someone to "deal with it" does not address the fact it still alienates a number (probably a lot) of United States users. Best way to handle the situation is literally to just put both times (ie. Event is at 3:00PM | [15:00 HR] PST).
      Last edited by aaron; 12-08-2016, 09:58 PM.
      Dragoon
      TypeNull - Bleed Phantom

Comment

• Vadis
        Vadis commented
        Editing a comment
        a game that was US/canada restricted, shouldn't be any surprise the majority of their playerbase is still US. rest of america is now allowed too though.

i'm sure there's more people in the world that understand 24-hour time than people in the US that don't too, no matter what someone's getting "alienated" 24-hour is just so much more convenient for a lot of things.

i do agree that the last would be best, heck if it were possible i'd rather have UTC in there, that's the true -global- solution

I think a in game clock would be neat..
      | Discord: Rinkie#3775 |

Comment

I cant believe there is actually a three page thread debating about military time and how it's not taught in the United States.

Are you guys for real? You don't need to memorize, you literally just minus 12...

I don't know how hard that can be.
        Dragon Nest Savior

Comment

Originally posted by CraZyZeuS View Post
          I cant believe there is actually a three page thread debating about military time and how it's not taught in the United States.

Are you guys for real? You don't need to memorize, you literally just minus 12...

I don't know how hard that can be.
          If there's even complaints about this issue (and there's been more than one thread), there's a deeper rooted problem than just "you literally just minus 12". It's not about how 24hr/military time is read, but more so something else entirely. Just so happens that in this specific context, 24hr/military time is the "strange". Re-read my post.
          Dragoon
          TypeNull - Bleed Phantom

Comment

If it's strange then maybe it's time to change.

While I personally can't understand how someone wouldn't be able to tell 24hr time (regardless of whether it's 'taught' or not), I can see how people that don't use 24hr time might perceive this as a bias against them or inconsideration to their way of viewing time.

But the whole PST/EST thing is a bias as well and people who don't live in those time-zones just adapt to it.
            In this case the majority of people prefer 24hr time because its more common and it would be more alienating to be partial to US standards than to be impartial.

My opinion's pretty biased given that I almost always read in 24hr
            Wafia - Flurry
            Wang - Guardian

discord: wangos#9761

Comment

• BowieSage
              BowieSage commented
              Editing a comment
              This. Since I'm in the Central Time Zone, and practically ZERO MMO developers/publishers label it for times, I always have to change the time by an hour or two to match Central Time, especially if it's not automatically adjusted by the forum. I've gotten used to it by now, but to say the least, 24hr times are the least of my time-based concerns, personally.

oh look, another fwp.
            AYY LMAO BAN HAMMER.png

Comment

Originally posted by Wangos View Post
              If it's strange then maybe it's time to change.

While I personally can't understand how someone wouldn't be able to tell 24hr time (regardless of whether it's 'taught' or not), I can see how people that don't use 24hr time might perceive this as a bias against them or inconsideration to their way of viewing time.

But the whole PST/EST thing is a bias as well and people who don't live in those time-zones just adapt to it.
              In this case the majority of people prefer 24hr time because its more common and it would be more alienating to be partial to US standards than to be impartial.

My opinion's pretty biased given that I almost always read in 24hr
              To clarify myself, I don't care which way it goes. I think it's annoying to convert 17:00 to 4:00PM, because I grew up with 4:00PM. I can read it, just don't comprehend it instantaneously by looking at it. I just believe there's legitimacy in the topic at hand, but people are literally brushing it off as "deal with it" or "it's time to learn", which is effectively telling them to shut up about it. I don't agree with the opening poster's logic, but I'm presenting a completely different view point, but arguing for the main point that the opening poster was trying to achieve. The topic isn't about "wouldn't be able to tell 24hr time". It's something more deeply rooted, mainly cause it's strange and unfamiliar, as well as more misunderstandings may come out of it FOR THE BIGGEST/MAJORITY USER BASE PLAYING THE NORTH AMERICAN SERVERS. Labeling times as PST/EST or even using both has been a common practice in the f2p MMO industry in the United States as well. It's not something people are unfamiliar with, like 24hr time.

Anyways, you can argue that 24hr is more common in the world, but it's not more common to the active user base. I don't think real world population applies to our specific Dragon Nest NA (or Dragon Nest US) server. Anyways, the problem can be fixed in several ways. Rinkie talked about putting a clock in game. That would avoid and dispel all confusion ever. Another solution was to add both 24 hr and AM/PM like they do PST/EST.

tl;dr:
              game is us based and most users are from the us. maybe alienating silent voices that don't use forums or social media for dn from participating from events. can be solved by adding both times or a clock in game.

The website also hosts date and year in US standards, so that in itself is getting confusing with non-consistency... whole other problem though.

Originally posted by Queen View Post
              oh look, another fwp.
              all threads here are basically fwp threads.
              Dragoon
              TypeNull - Bleed Phantom

Comment

• MonD
                MonD commented
                Editing a comment
                sorry its 1700 not 17:00. And 1700 is not 4 pm but rather 5 pm. :c

http://www.thetimezoneconverter.com/

just bookmark that page and use it if its so hard. can't get any easier than that

jesus this thread is somehow dumber than my posts

Comment

Don't Worry. Trump will make sure the greatest country on earth will be at the top of the charts when it comes to education very soon.
                2017 omega Cringe edition!!!

Comment

Oops. 24hr time is hard.

Anyways, my main point still stands and would rather not be invalidated over a simple human error that's not relevant to my actual point. That's called cherry picking : (.
                  Last edited by aaron; 12-09-2016, 02:38 PM.
                  Dragoon
                  TypeNull - Bleed Phantom

Comment

• Vadis
                    Vadis commented
                    Editing a comment
                    practice makes perfect, if you don't practice it, of course it will remain alien.

when i first started using UTC try to imagine my headache, now though, i wish for every clock to be UTC.

God damn 47.

The only basis of this argument to change the clock system now is 'its too hard to do the mental math' for five or so seconds and subtract twelve. Fact this is even a complaint over other bugs currently in the game is just lol. Sorry to the privileged of getting their own way nearly always.

Comment

I'm way too annoyed with existing bugs and my own personal problems with this game to seriously believe this is a topic of discussion.

Instead of PICKING a format of time, then complain about it, EYE can literally add an in-game clock right below the @#$% minimap.

Then put an option in system settings to convert it to 12-hour or 24-hour format. Or, for even greater convenience, just let the player click the clock to switch formats.

Problem solved for EVERYBODY, regardless of region or education. Eureka!

As for announcing things, I know things might be hectic in the office or whatever, but this is literally how easy it is to be more clear for everybody, again, regardless of the reader's education.

Before (from [Guild Event] Earn Points for Goodies! announcement):

Event Period: 10th December 0900HRS (PST) / 1200HRS (EST) ~ 17th December 0859HRS (PST) / 1159HRS (EST)

After:

Event Period:
                    10th December 0900 HRS (PST) / 1200 HRS (EST) ~ 17th December 0859 HRS (PST) / 1159 HRS (EST)
                    10th December 9:00 AM (PST) / Noon (EST) ~ 17th December 08:59 AM (PST) / 11:59 AM (EST)

This really isn't that difficult... Hell, if I need to start converting every announcement to 12-hour format just so others can't be confused on times, I'll do that. It literally takes less than a minute.
                    ~ Check this out if you're having problems installing Dragon Nest ~

~ Check out this or this if you can't hit or loot anything in-game ~

Orona -- Ice Witch

Comment

mfw people can't do basic math and subtract 12
                      Ice Witch: Nimue | Parade | Ice Witch Guide
                      Defensio: Botamochi | Defensio Guide
                      Discord: vara#2664
                      recent costumes list

Comment

Originally posted by aaron View Post

If there's even complaints about this issue (and there's been more than one thread), there's a deeper rooted problem than just "you literally just minus 12". It's not about how 24hr/military time is read, but more so something else entirely. Just so happens that in this specific context, 24hr/military time is the "strange". Re-read my post.
                        Sorry but there's complaints about everything on Dragon Nest and not every issue has to be resolved. There's more babies here that cry about everything than in the hospital. Kids these days are so spoiled that all they do is complain instead of finding a way to solve their own issues.

Dragon Nest Savior

Comment

Working...
                        X