Raven out of touch? Post November 14 patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raven out of touch? Post November 14 patch

What have they done to the Raven...I personally feel his awakening skills are more out of touch than ever before. Prior the November 14 patch, his Storm Crow is completely useless due to its 10 bubble point usage and awful hit rate (which is why it is seldom used by anyone), but that didn't impact much coz the Guillotine Cross and Star Combination effect (i.e. additional hit points in Rake via the left click, and the instant cast long ranged Guillotine Cross) was a better deal. Post the recent patch, Guillotine Cross has been completely changed to a slow casting, long delay, shorter-ranged attack, which is so easy to dodge with a mobile target (e.g. that boss in the Secret Under Water Cave dungeon). Its long delay was so bad, it ends your skill rotation combo. Not only that, the star combination effect that lets you throw additional knives is GONE, this greatly brings down Rake damage losing those extra hit points from the extra knives. It's just like the same old Rake before awakening now (it's like unlearning the awakening). To ease the pain, as they thought, they brought down Storm Crow easily accessible with a single bubble BUT with a huge damage reduction (obviously) while keeping its lame hit rate. It can only hit twice that huge Training Golem with a direct hit or thrice when I get lucky to hit it head-on. It could have been better if it can be used one after another, but NO it seems to have a cooldown of its own too. So much for a Storm Crow compensation eh? With the mess they've done with the Raven I think, they are less likely to be a choice for PVE anymore, nor will they ever be a choice for PVP (as they were before). This used to be my favorite character, but I guess I have to rest my Raven for a while and settle for another...
    Last edited by Ulrich; 11-14-2017, 07:27 AM.

Dude, paraphrase.

They realized that this balancing is not how they intend Raven to be and they amend it in the next balancing, that should come next including all the % boosting for skills.
    So yea, take time off your Raven if you need to, it won't take long.

But seriously GC took a year to cast...

Comment

I feel bad for people who seriously enjoy the Raven class that the dev can make such a mistake. Like dude, did you even try playing it when you made this change?
      Remmystarr from Eden (Discord: Xenocho #8012)
      Please try to read my guide before asking questions on gear optimisation here;
      Old and outdated Engineer guide here; Selling FDN service for FDN weaps (Read here!);

Comment

the casting is tooooo looonnggggg...change it back pls T_T

Comment

Chain skills aren't meant to be "leave and forget"...ex. Applause, Punishment, Excess Chain, even Mortal Blow has a short to fairly long casting time...AFAIK almost every skill that includes using the Chain has a long cast time which makes sense cause you're not going to throw a chain at someone hoping it would hit them more than once with out manipulating it yourself right?

Knife skills are designed to be "thrown" in which you cast them and leave them to deal damage while you go do other stuff (dodging, casting something else, etc.) we also have Burning Coal for cancelling Chain skills

Also the old GC changed the playstyle of Raven from relying on skill rotations to deal maximum damage to efficiently gathering Steals then Fade>Dedicate Crow>GC and rinse and repeat. Also IIRC the new Crow Storm has iframe which is pretty useful since we now have our Dark version of Mortal Blow.

I personally think that the revamp would restore Raven's playstyle to pre-awakening. But then again I haven't tried the revamp yet xD I do hope they give free skill reset xD

P.S. the first time awakening was introduced I already had the feeling that they would change it...it just didn't feel right at all
          "Behind every mask lies a man who can't live in his own sins..."

Comment

• KillianQ
            KillianQ commented
            Editing a comment
            i haven't tried the revamp yet but i'm imagining the skill rotation would be something like Applause>Left+click2x>CS>Punishment>Left+click>CS> Edged Fan>CS

• tinku
            tinku commented
            Editing a comment
            Or, you can just forget right click except for edged fan. Assign a quick slot for CS, and rotate it as normal skill instead of spamming Right click, except for edged fan, as it as no left click chaining. With 5 second cd, CS goes along with edged fan, open edge when rotating.

EDIT: CS>Punishment + LC>CS>Edged Fan>CS isn't possible because of 5 seconds CD.
            Last edited by tinku; 11-14-2017, 03:44 PM.

• TashaGodspell
            TashaGodspell commented
            Editing a comment
            sorry nub question what is CS ? GC ?

I've never tried raven after this patch yet but i hope it's casting isn't as long as adept's elemental flair.
          Elemental flair totally sucks now, you can't move while casting and lame super armor as well. Just a hit from most of monsters attacks and it's canceled.
          Discord: DarkB1ad3r #5361

Comment

• Xenocho
            Xenocho commented
            Editing a comment
            The iframe should return next patch

• darkb1ader
            darkb1ader commented
            Editing a comment
            Well I hope so, it totally sucks now

• stylinx
            stylinx commented
            Editing a comment
            is elemental flairs i-frame both pve/pvp when fix?

alright, so I will replace Guillotine Cross with Crow Storm coz casting is too long :V
          oso, will only use it for escape XD
          Lorallite (Windwalker)

Comment

• vangeodee
            vangeodee commented
            Editing a comment
            Knee lol like I give a rat's ass if the old CS did higher damage, I'm looking at the now and how the now compares to the old one. If I wanted, I could get Crow Storm to top 5 if I really focused on it, but saving up 10 steals to use a craptastic skill that leaves you vulnerable for a second or two? lol naaaah.

And yes, I didn't use it much because it's a time waster, it's slow and is a positioning nightmare since you can't cancel out of animation. My point is, people are hating on the new GC when in fact, it's still the best skill to use for Ravens.

• Knee
            Knee commented
            Editing a comment
            KillianQ GC is currently 14401%, it will be buffed to 17261% later, the old GC is around 12k%.

vangeodee The thing is you said you never see old CS go above 2b but you did see it with new GC, it's 17k% vs 14k%, if new GC hits 2b on your current gear then with the same gear you could hit 2.4b on old CS, that's just how numbers work.
            Basically you repeat what I'm saying...Old CS is bad, that's why you never use it last time thus you don't see the 2b numbers.

The way I see ED balance it is they try to make sure every skill have it's use, they make CS more viable as normal skill and just keep 1 big hitting skill in GC.
            In the end, and I repeat myself, people just need to adapt to the change or just play different class altogether.

• KillianQ
            KillianQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Knee on paper old CS does deal more damage than old GC but in for example a 10-sec DPS window you'd still deal more DPS by using old GC than old CS

and yes they did make CS more chainable...design-wise the old GC never actually fit in anyways...it looks cool but it's the only chain skill that's being thrown and forgotten

finally got the time to test it out...now i see where all the hate comes from :| new GC is strong but for its range and AOE (needs some getting used to for it to hit properly, the camera lock is annoying as well) it's still just an annoying skill which leaves you extremely vulnerable...i guess for me it's unreliable...but the real problem with the revamp is...NO FREE SKILL RESET T_T poor me can't even try out the new CS
          "Behind every mask lies a man who can't live in his own sins..."

Comment

• vangeodee
            vangeodee commented
            Editing a comment
            How can you not try new CS? I haven't even reset since awakening came out and my Raven is still perfectly playable.

As for your gripes with GC, all I hear is whining. The old GC was braindead throw and forget, now that it has a bit more difficulty for a crap ton more damage people are losing their minds. The answers to all your gripes is simply: git gud son.

• Knee
            Knee commented
            Editing a comment
            I never understand people who never take CS...
            Where else did you put your points into?
            Unless it's a hybrid build for PVP then probably, but hybrid build is bad in the first place...

• KillianQ
            KillianQ commented
            Editing a comment
            because new GC is technically old CS without the camera lock (which makes new GC a lot more annoying and unreliable) i took Blade Runner for an emergency tumble of some sorts...don't ask xD

We can't make it revert back. What we need is the follow up patch for it but i am so done raging about it & ill just wait it out.
          Just like waiting for your main course this is just the appetizer.

Let's talk about rotations instead.

You guys still use left click for chain skills? especially in Applause wtf its 2x click
          Edged fan cd plate is very good imo

Comment

• vangeodee
            vangeodee commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I still use it. It's slow, but not unbearably so. The only situation I can see myself not using it is in runs with no willpower/harmonize

Oh no raven is not long the brain dead spam-skills-without-thinking-and-forget type of class that i can only play anymore!
          Oh no i now need to actually need to think more about positioning to use skills, timing to use skills, and rotate my skills properly unlike last time!
          Oh no its such a terrible nerf! Raven is no longer playable (to me)! the skills are soooo short range and now take sooooooo long to cast because i cannot properly decide when would be a good time to cast skills as i never bothered to pay attention to the boss attacks!
          whine cry cry whine

Comment

I'm adapting to change now, after all the whining (you see...it's natural to feel bad if something got changed from something you got used to for a long time)...So far, GC, for me, may be slow and can be interrupted easily, but it stings when it hits, so I'm fine with that. For SC, I'm trying to appreciate it, but its damage and making it hit is intolerable, so I only use it for escape (lame...). I am happy to get away with the rake spam, but the damage...well I'm looking forward to its next patch.

Comment

• IJumpUJump
              IJumpUJump commented
              Editing a comment
              The followup patch for raven will further increase GC dmg and further reduce CS dmg. The devs obviously want to make CS a utility evasion/escape kind of skill with low cd and iframe of 0.5 sec. Be thankful that it even does damage at all.

• Ulrich
              Ulrich commented
              Editing a comment
              I am more convinced that the damage reduction is due to no bubble utilization, i.e., easier access. But I remain hopeful that it's not just a utility skill, especially the added note about having five hits and the last hit would deal more damage of some sort and an adjustment in range. There's so much going in there to be just a utility. Until implementation, I remain hopeful. Have faith.

• Knee
              Knee commented
              Editing a comment
              Ulrich future balancing removes the steal consumption altogether and reduce damage to 2400% so yea...more towards iframe and escape 5 second cd skill.

So the new patch has arrived! I am happily satisfied with the raven gameplay, with the boost and the new Crow Storm, it definitely shortened the number of combos I have to throw at enemies (duh), and the new Crow Storm is superb easily hitting enemies multiple times now with no steal used (damn that old Crow storm barely hitting). I'm happy with the new CS, mixing it with my combos fits perfectly. Oh the +1 to knife thrown at star combi

Comment

• Xenocho
              Xenocho commented
              Editing a comment
              Your patience with the class paid off

• KillianQ
              KillianQ commented
              Editing a comment
              the new Crow Storm definitely removes the "sloppiness" of some skills allowing you to deal a lot of damage while dodging
          Working...
          X