Thoughts on Avalanche for PVP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Avalanche for PVP

I tried using Ava for pvp and good lord she is pathetic. I know I don't have a reputation for being a pro PVP player but I just want to share what I experienced in hopes of seeing others disagree with me or give me ideas how to better handle her.

Summary: Fun to use for a melee Ice job. You can switch from melee to range with your set of skills. Maneuvering the skills, however, is totally on a whole other level of rage.

Pros:
    + Lots of lift (explore comboing)
    + Frostbite and Freeze (awakening passives)
    + Decently mobile
    + Awakened Fatal Stinger and Blizzard Shooter are your gods
    + Overall damage is good to slightly bad depending on your style and luck
    + CD and ASpeed hera for some skills - MUST USE THEM TO HAVE A CHANCE

Cons:
    - No iframes (rely solely on lancea iframes and parry if you can)
    - Pathetic Super Armor ( Randgrid skills give SA but the ex versions get more SA and SAB) - This means 80% of ur skills can be cancelled in a snap
    - Bad Super Armor Break (only Brandish seems to be useful for this)
    - Rely on Randgrid skills to combo well
    - Low AoE in general

I tried being as generous as I can to the good parts of being an Avalanche.

I am not hating on the job because I still have fun using the job. I am just frustrated the job is so hard to pull off compared to those almost no-brainer jobs (hello arti, ML, and Elestra)

I would definitely appreciate opinions of Avalanche users and advices on how to handle them better in PVP.

Again, I repeat that I AM NOT A PRO PVP PLAYER OR ANYTHING CLOSE TO THEM.
    Last edited by Raifisetto; 11-13-2018, 06:48 PM.

Been playing for almost a week now, all of my problems are exactly as you stated but have been trying some ways to deal with her biggest flaws. Due to Avalanche's non existence SA, i generally would try to bait opponents. Be it wasting their SA skills and then engage with Splitter > Brandish/Flash lift or initiating on certain skills that have low SA. Splitter, Brandish and Lava Raid is usually my go-to skills to catch opponent and Lava Raid is extremely helpful with the action speed plate.
    I also tend to not fully execute certain skills like Phantasm and Frosty Cross when trying to recatch opponents unless i'm certain i've caught them due to how ridiculously slow those skills are.

As for plates, i'm using kick plates, Splitter CD and Lava Raid action speed. Would probably fit in Phantasm speed, Twister Speed and maybe Brandish CD plate if i had expansion slots.

Anyways that's what i'm doing. Hope it's at least readable since i sucked at conveying information with words. If you need a sparing Avalanche partner, do tell me. I'd be happy to.

Comment

Ikr. The SA is so bad, you already used all your skills but haven't successfully casted a single one Click image for larger version

Name:	biglaugh.gif
Views:	195
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	151022
      I LOVE REN
      by me ofc

Comment

Originally posted by PadChief View Post
        Been playing for almost a week now, all of my problems are exactly as you stated but have been trying some ways to deal with her biggest flaws. Due to Avalanche's non existence SA, i generally would try to bait opponents. Be it wasting their SA skills and then engage with Splitter > Brandish/Flash lift or initiating on certain skills that have low SA. Splitter, Brandish and Lava Raid is usually my go-to skills to catch opponent and Lava Raid is extremely helpful with the action speed plate.
        I also tend to not fully execute certain skills like Phantasm and Frosty Cross when trying to recatch opponents unless i'm certain i've caught them due to how ridiculously slow those skills are.

As for plates, i'm using kick plates, Splitter CD and Lava Raid action speed. Would probably fit in Phantasm speed, Twister Speed and maybe Brandish CD plate if i had expansion slots.

Anyways that's what i'm doing. Hope it's at least readable since i sucked at conveying information with words. If you need a sparing Avalanche partner, do tell me. I'd be happy to.
        Well I would definitely love to spar with a fellow Avy. My IGN is SnowyEiko so feel free. My combos are still bad so I would very much appreciate studying other styles as well.

I actually feel like Lava Raid Aspeed is unnecessary since it does make it harder to control and the default speed is tolerable as far as my style and combos are concerned. Twister and Splitter are definitely optional but Brandish imo seems like one of the most important ones due to being the only SAB skill. But then again this is only limited to my view and playstyle.

EDIT: Lava Raid ASpeed seems really nice if you can control it. I'll probably practice this more
        Last edited by Raifisetto; 11-13-2018, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raifisetto View Post
          I actually feel like Lava Raid Aspeed is unnecessary since it does make it harder to control and the default speed is tolerable as far as my style and combos are concerned. Twister and Splitter are definitely optional but Brandish imo seems like one of the most important ones due to being the only SAB skill. But then again this is only limited to my view and playstyle.

EDIT: Lava Raid ASpeed seems really nice if you can control it. I'll probably practice this more
          Well yeah, it is awkward to use at first but consider this, due to how slow it is and how painstakingly low the SA is, the speed definitely helps. I'm on 100 sensitivity so that may be the reason i find it easy to use.
          But anyway, i'll contact you when i'm free from assignments. IGN: ChizuKek

Comment

• Raifisetto
            Raifisetto commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes I'm permanently keeping Lava Raid for the speed. Falling meteor is also a good choice if you want to. But I don't feel the need for Falling Meteor as much as I needed Lava Raid.

The speed definitely makes up for the SA. However, I'm still not convinced of the damage we can deal. I can combo anyone for like 10sec and holy lord I cant feel my dmg... I focused too much on utility and my damage is taking the toll...
        Working...
        X