An insight to the problems on pvp balancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An insight to the problems on pvp balancing

My argument is from my personal experience and my understanding on pvp environment for years in this game.

People complain perpetually about which class(es) is overpowered, which class(es) is lame. Nevertheless, they cannot show their proof effectively by merely exaggerating some of the skills that is decisive to victory. I understand that a player is merely a player, who may not be able to consider such in a comprehensive sense. Recently I heard that dash will be removed and thus I went to discuss with other people. Some of them surprisingly oppose to this change by saying they can no longer counter those aggressive classes such as gladiator, ripper and lencia. As a matter of fact, they are also old players like I am, but we differ in opinions. I believe that dash is a skill, that accompany a number of problems, permanently ruins the pvp environment unless they are tackled. I will explain them right now.

PVP stats can be independently adjusted but Eyedentity doesn't really take advantages on this system.

Developers has showed us elements such as skill damage, SA, SAB, range, iframe and cooldown, all of them can be adjusted independently. Use acrobat as an example,

SA adjustment: cyclone kick ex from 400SA -> 200SA
    SAB adjustment: double somersault kick from 200 SAB -> 100 (I don't think https://skitzodn.wixsite.com/dnpvpsi/sea-archer is all accurate)
    range adjustment: hurricane dance (it was when 50 cap if I still remember)
    iframe adjustment: spiral kick's and kick shot's iframe were removed
    cooldown and skill damage adjustments will not be mentioned here

Undoubtedly cooldown and skill damage are 2 that Eyedentity mostly corrects. Acrobat, being on the test bench most of the time balancing in all approaches, does not achieve a more balanced result, but become a victim in Dragon Nest PVP. Acrobat's sacrifice does not encourage Eyedentity to step on the balancing train. They seems to be afraid of touching other classes in terms of fixing "the other four" and "the other four" gradually weaken the body of DNPVP. When a virus called "awakening" comes, nothing can stop the infection.

Dash limits most playstyles into one and that is called "kiting".

Dragon Nest PVP was fun because of it's diversity. Different playstyle induces different skill build. Though there is a relatively best all rounded build for pvp, players are more passionate on inventing new strategies rather than blindly follow the best build. That is because new strategies can strive for victory. In the past, we could see a priest maximizing holy bolt + holy bolt reset heraldry and once you got bound, you would hear a sound of お前はもう死んでいる (you are already dead); We could find a bow master, who came to you and tried to combo you using a lot of kicking skills; We could realise sometimes when we suffered from time stop, the majesty didn't immediately cast gravity ascension but instead, she kept slapping your face with her spell book. You may ask why they have to do such despite entertainment, there are many reasons. Some of them wanted to save skills to counter opponent's skills, some of them wished to be unpredictable to their opponents, and some of them desired to be independent to other players. However, what dash had influenced all pvp players?

Dash is not merely an enhancement on moving speed, it provides 200 SA to players which means you can take advantages on it. I will say almost all skills that cannot stack at least 200SAB in about 0.2 second will become a useless skill. Even tumble cannot evade, that 200SA from dash is vital to tank those skills and counter them by casting another skills that have enough SAB. At this moment, you may be able to recognise who is suffering the most from dash.

I presume that dexterity, ability to tank, AOE and special ability define how a class should be. For cleric, tough with shield, decent SA+SAB, low mobility; For engineer, summoning skills, mediocre mobility, high stacking damage; For sorceress, large AOE, strong debuffs, low mobility. Dragon Nest was once telling us that, all classes should have their advantages and disadvantages and which we as a player, have to deal with by paying efforts. When dash came to DN, it solely equalized the mobility among all classes. Low mobility classes like bow master, sorceress, even they decide to use kiting as the playstyle, they have to aware getting caught by high mobility classes like acrobat and blade dancer. Their skills' cooldowns are low, they can exchange your skills until you eventually have insufficient skills to counter. But with the aid of dash, most small AOE skills are shut down. On one hand they have become more challenging to be aimed on a dashing target. On the other hand, they generally have low SAB which are applicable to 200 SA of dash. (Assassin is exclusive)

As a result, we found that being aggressive is stupid most of the time, only being defensive can have a relatively fairer fight. This thus promoted kiting as the only playstyle available in DN PVP. Diversity has become homogeneity. The approach of using different class are fundamentally the same: Waiting for "big skills", otherwise keeping a good distance. Is that what you want from DN PVP?

Awakening magnifies the effects of "big skills" such that the contribution of small skills becomes no longer important.

First thing first, bubble mechanics allow spaming skills that have huge damages. This again conveys that we only have to aim those skills solely and we can win. Do we need combo? Yes, we do, but not the most important case anymore. Being a tempest, you merely have to wait until 100 bubbles, cast your spirit boost and aim your hurricane dance EX three times (if not able to get 4), 70% of opponents hp should have gone. For the other 30%, your other skills will do the job, or you merely wait for another hurricane dance cycle.

The ability of casting massive skills multiple times is not fair when it doesn't have any significant drawbacks. Ripper's izuna drop ex is one example, it itself has 20% of chance casting izuna drop ex again by an ash (while the player himself is free to do anything), and with the duplicate shadow, we may see 3 iframe protected izuna drop in 1 - 2 seconds, associated with 2400 SAB (I assume 8hits of 50 + 400 per 1 izuna drop ). Undoubtedly an insane skill. Don't make any absurd agreement by saying this Is not the case when you can avoid from izuna drop by your skills, since most ripper players are neither blind nor foolish.

AOE skills are getting an even larger AOE which becomes inevitable. Ice Beam EX in addition of awakened passives makes this skill a turning point whenever it is cast. It is a horizontally laid version of laser cutter (from smasher). 1 tumble is definitely not enough to get away from the range of this immediate minovsky particles cannon. The scariest part is that this dominating skill can even be turned in 360 degrees. When adept was released long time ago(50 cap), this ice beam was also adjustable in direction while using. Most PVP players had complaint about that and soon Eyedentity removed this mechanics in PVP. Few years later, awakening revive this agreeably one of the worst mechanics back in PVP which I wonder the developers in Eyedentity are now suffering from dementia.

"Big skills" are being so dominant that can overthrow most of the efforts that players pay on "small skills" or connecting skills. You are not required to aim big skills very accurately since the skills themselves will do the job. Only getting out of range can dodge those skills. We cannot tank as well since they can destroy you by either high stacking SAB or freezing or other deteriorating abilities. All of those headed to kiting strategy, it is not only a personal approach, but an essential survival kit for all players.

We now see the whole from it's parts. And we should now consider the ways to recover our PVP environment.

What Eyedentity has to do, in my opinion should be like what Blizzard does with Overwatch, by setting up a discord channel, put pro players together, gather all professional ideas on how to balance this game. Game developers' prejudice on solving this problem can also be stopped. We are here to help with game developers to contribute to this game, which is a win win situation for all our players. I personally have some ideas on solving the balancing issues, but only my voice is not enough to give the best answer to address. My ideas may also have assumptions or prejudice. Only a group of pro players of different classes, in different places, can contribute the best prescription on fixing PVP environment.

I think people may doubt about the fact that I am an experienced player, and judge my authority on proposing those arguments. Yes I quitted Dragon Nest for years, I agree that I am ignorant to current patch updates and environment. I had borrowed accounts from my friends using ign INoiharaI and one other I forgot. I had attained to the first place of compensated ladder on both servers in SEA long time ago. My friends called me Draco and I used the IGNs DracoNoob, DraconicX1, DraconicX2, BoonoCard in DWC server. I am also once a champion in Dragon Nest World Championship as a representative of Chinese Taipei team.

And I am an acrobat nerd

I just can't take eyedentity seriously anymore when they created elestra glacial field.
    This sh** covering 1/4 of lost temple.
    What's next ? a skill with AOE of whole maps ???

Comment

• FuYuu
      FuYuu commented
      Editing a comment
      standing inside the field guarantees an absolute safe spot for them to recover their aerial evasion and escape (for sorcer class), which is somehow an upgraded version of consecration. This skill is fine for it's damage and debuff effect, but AOE and duration should be adjusted.

I'm just going to say that, while I agree with you for most of the part, you are not the first one attempting to beat some common sense into ED.

Since ED themselves don't look like they tested any revamped skill changes before implementation.

Comment

Don't waste your energy on being irritated by these unfairness in PVP, focus on how to surpasses them.

Blaming on classes' skills and meta is already old-fashioned, and i think it's unnecessary.

My friend above this post were using a Ripper with High SA Breaking skills, Good Damage, Fast Attack Speed, got more I-frames than me, Awakening Passive that can block certain hits, Self-heal

And i'm using the weakest sorc in PVP, i still won against him, with kiting strategy of course, isn't that how we all do against those OP skills ? Just let them being the ones who irritated.

With above experience i agree with you that winning against certain classes using kiting strategy is the only way for those undermined classes, and that's why i said talking about OP class number 1 or OP skill number 2 and blaming all of these unfairness to them is already old-fashioned, what we should do is to step up our game, and just accept it if our class are not as great as the one who beat us, after all, it's just a game.
      Last edited by WildMist; 03-14-2018, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• FuYuu
        FuYuu commented
        Editing a comment
        Surpassing unfairness is always what we are doing as pvp players, but the case is how we make it. We used to improve ourselves by paying a lot of efforts on such as wise use of tumble, calculation of opponent's cooldown and prediction of opponent's action. The current pvp environment denied most efforts that we have done in the past and that is what exhausted me continuing this game. This game is not enjoyable anymore.

• Kuru
        Kuru commented
        Editing a comment
        While yes, it's a waste to be annoyed, if you simply sit back and accept it then they'll do even less than they currently are. At least we've had some progress with the removal of dash (coming soon to SEA) and we can hope for more by giving them a proper insight into how experienced PvP players view the game right now. And if we all just sit back and accept it then nothing will ever change, even if all the efforts are for nought we could at least say we tried, rather than sitting back and watching as the PvP goes down the tube.

• Siddharti
        Siddharti commented
        Editing a comment
        pathetic. kiting is for noobs. real b*tches fight aggressively 100%

Yeah I need to finish testing Double Somersault Kick, that's why I have the ? in the SAB column with a note that says "needs testing". I believe I got the 120/hit from the old spreadsheet and noticed that the last 2 hits of DSK would break more than 600 SA when testing. I was able to test these last 2 hits, so they should be accurate, but I'll try to update it rather soon and get back to you.

Edit: Ok, after thorough testing, the SAB of it is actually way more than it was nerfed to. I tested against BM's transformed Smoke Storm w/ the SA buff on (2700 SA total which I verified that again) and the last 8 hits of DSK broke it. The first 2 hits of it I found out does 750 total, same as the last 2 hits. The middle 6 I'm approximating to be 375 each now since its a bit too hard to keep track of each hit with that amount of SAB. That's a total of at least 3750 SAB... I have no idea when this change was implemented but, its here now.
      Last edited by SkitzoRoy; 03-19-2018, 02:12 PM. Reason: Tested

Comment

one issue i have with "balancing" was that, with the introiduction to the awakening- they literally made mosyt of the class similar.
        baqck in 60ish cap, Saleana's were slow but painful casters, Tempests are evasive classes that wil lfight back when their opponents fail to hit them, WW were area hitters but if they miss, theyre screwed, DS just spam but they sacrifice mobility for it, etc etc

now... well Adepts rather than being glass cannon, they literally became cannons literally. Saleana's speed cast now... fireball became seldom casted (their signature skill), Tempests just HD spam all day

honestly when Oracles were released, their high magic def made things really interesting. perhaps i htought theres a coutner class now... but noooo, it was "fixed" when it shouldnt have been. i miss DN where theres the ROCK PAPER SCISSORS system...

Comment

Working...
        X