Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

93 cap PvP is one of the most innovative experiences, 5.5 years veteran's perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 cap PvP is one of the most innovative experiences, 5.5 years veteran's perspective

Least favorite part of 93 cap PVP ? Vote on the poll.

Now, for my thoughts and insights after playing over 1000 eq, 5 round 1v1 games as an unawakened guardian, 250 5 round 1v1 preawakened crusader, and roughly 700 games as an awakened Guardian between softban and ladder.

I would first like to apologize that i am absolutely terrible at playing non paladin classes. Therefor, i don't have the perspective others might, but i would like to share my stat sheet to show that i make an effort to fight -any- class as i do not show prejudice as i may once have years ago.

Kills Click image for larger version

Name:	8kyxcLU.png
Views:	72
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	47162

Deaths

As any other veteran player, i clearly have a very unbalanced play-record between classes, that said, there simply arn't that many of the newer classes running around 1v1s ready to play! I must admit, i used to be part of the problem. Why play a new class when i can fight a warrior again, right? Well, I was wrong and i highly regret that. Im writing this message in hopes that other people are willing to be more open minded about their opponents, whether this is their class, their reputation, or even an old grudge you may have once held (another thing i've previously been guilty of). It's up to the community to solve this problem, and using balancing as an excuse is merely just that. An excuse.

But enough of that. This isn't why i am writing this thread. I wanted to share with everybody why 93 is one of my favorite pvp caps after experiencing each one with heavy pvp (mostly 1v1 eq) throughout each. During each cap, i got to experience playing average players, brand new players on their first game, chill roomers trying out 1v1, and even the top players of any given moment throughout the years. I believe many players hold a bias back towards other caps that were not as great/balanced as they perceived them to be. I'll start with 24 cap. You were not a good enough player to judge this cap. Get out. Let's look at 32 cap. This cap lasted 3 months. October - December (yes, less time than we've been sitting around in 93 cap) . 32 cap existed without Counter Cross. Butterfly Float. .. I guess those are my two notable things that drastically changed the game. Because of these game changing skills, its hard to say 32 cap had "the best pvp" as these skills are now part of the basics when it comes to PvP.

40 cap. I was pretty salty about not having counter cross or butterfly float added to my toolkit. All I got was a big smack to the face that said git gud. I had a terrible attitude during this time, and i apologize for that greatly, but i won't go too far into it. Just know, if i ever was a dick to you, i invite you to pm me on my discord (in sig) and tell me i was a dick, and i will apologize to you personally. But back to the game. 40 cap is often referred to as one of the best caps because it was without EX abilities.
    But do you know what i remember?
    9 months before we finally received 50 cap. Everybody was excited to become a gladiator, guardian, tempest, inquisitor, etc.. Everybody wanted their SINGLE EX ability and for some, an additional active (for most, this was their 45 skill), and of course, the "2nd ultimate" , level 50 abilities.
    40 cap grew extremely competitive because of this long wait. Many got tired of waiting for the "true experience" to begin and came back later, just to quit again.
    40 cap Had T3. 40 cap had T4. In short, 40 cap was a mess. People are simply a bit nostalgic for it, and that i do understand. But i believe if we were to have the game today with this cap as our pvp balance and skill pool, it would have a far lower skill ceiling, and therefor be less balanced (as balance in this game kind of implies you push towards your potential, which can't be done if there is simply no room for it) .

In 50 cap, i remember it clearly, September 2012. The hype was never more real than the day of this patch. I was thirsty for my relic EX as i chose to be a crusader the first time i heard its name in 32 cap. I didn't care about the abilities, i just wanted to be a crusader. The dream was real, after a tiresome grind (but so worth it) we all slowly started flooding the arena again.
    In short, it was terrible.
    As a crusader, i was 3-4 shotting people with a simple relic EX & smite. maybe a few zap ticks. Disgustingly overpowered. Guardians were no better. Justice crash is easily one of the best 50's in the game, its no secret, and their smite was just as powerful as a crusaders (and to an extent, still is)
    Gladiators were highly respected during this cap, as they were not like me. They had to setup wall line drives (now a rather basic thing to know as a glad, interestingly enough) in order to compete with the dps of other classes. I commend all the warrior classes that stuck it through this cap, as you were highly rewarded in 60 cap before you got bandwagoned. 50 cap didnt get many balance updates. There was another hp adjustment eventually, and it was all in all. "meh" . Thank you three for teaching me more about my own class even up this day, than i think i was able to even teach you at the start.
    However, just like 40 cap, nostalgia does not, and should not dictate a level caps "greatness"

60 cap.. I don't want to speak too much for this cap. It's no secret there were warriors EVERYWHERE ( and honestly, looking back, why were we complaining, i welcome a warrior to 1v1 me any day all day lol ) .. but admittedly, they were finally what i would label rather over powered (for the most part) and dominated the ENTIRE cap with little (if any) balance updates. Most people who claim this as their favorite cap are still nostolgic (they may have began their pvp career because of the bandwagon, and THAT IS OK. I'd rather have these players who grew interest because of a bandwagon and stuck it out rather than never having them at all!) But.. outside of that.. I don't think too many people were a fan of this cap in PVP . But damn, DDN is still , in my opinion, one of the best designed nests, if not THE best in DN history. PvE'ers had a field day. It was around this time i took to playing on alt paladins as i required practice to git gud and i was too controlled by ego to show up with my main as i felt too pressured to be good when i really, really wasnt. So i made a few alts. I practiced. This was a trend i continued into 70 cap.

70 cap, as i see it, was a far more balanced 60 cap. That's all i can really say about it too. As far as my history of this cap goes, bdn was pretty cool fan service, you must admit. Additionally, i was distraught at by sinking performance. I moved back to my alts. And i practiced. I practiced my ass off. Eventually i broke. I took a 2-3 month break before 80 cap finally landed. A well deserved, and needed break as I see it. As with that break, the old zeplic nobody liked left forever as well.

80 cap. Again, a more balanced 70 cap. Implying, even that much more balanced than 60.
    80 cap was my favorite cap. I truly believe that there has not been a more balanced cap (especially post assassin nerfs) than this. It's no secret that Screamers may have been the overpowered class here, but they wern't invincible.
    The only flaw of 80 cap was that it never got updated to the faster gameplay speed (overall, not just dash) that we have today. It would have been awesome! I'm clearly pretty bias about this cap, but i claim it without nostalgia, without a toxic attitude, but absolutely the highest desire to be the best player i could be.

90 cap. I took a long hiatus during 90 cap. I played the beginning. I was nowhere to be seen otherwise. I feel slightly responsible for letting people down, but i kind of know it wasn't my fault. I hope to amend my absence by being present in 93 cap with you now.

And finally, the point of this thread topic, 93 cap. A very, very, interesting perspective i got to experience was the 1000 unawakened guardian games i played prior to our update. God damn. It was Hard. Coming back from break. Being weaker than ive ever felt as a paladin player, and to top that off, eq stats were not exactly in our favor either. I got my ass kicked by every one of you. And honestly, i needed it. While it was difficult sometimes to find decent practice, i got what i could. I met a lot of people, and I tried to spread positivism in an otherwise far too negative environment. Thank you to everybody who practiced with me during this time. Moving on. Awakened cleric, 93. Awakenings are innovative, theyre still working on balancing them (thus the recent gladiator changes) , and uh.. i don't really know what to say (especially factoring in future awakened nerfs such as contagion and guardian damage on awk skills.. and priests. Priests. ) My current softban build plays without SOF, and it's still super fun. I've been playing ladder a lot as many have noticed ( i like the struggle of fighting against my favor, + the new ranking/balancing was very to my interest ) ..

And that's it really, if you want to ask me any questions, start any discussions (also known as arguing violently until we take it to a 1v1 room, but thats fine too) .. or just adding your own thoughts, feel free.

p.s. considering updating my channel again. I assume nobody wants to see pure pov paladin gameplay.. so if you'd like to share what content you'd like to see, or if you'd like to help with the channel in any way, let me know. I've found DN+ to be extremely important in the community throughout the years, and DN+ belongs to the community, not just me. So i extend its privilege of a somewhat successful channel to you guys. Tell me what you want on it, share with me what you want to share. Maybe we can create something together.
    EQ STAT Balancing (the sheet values, not skill %)
    12.50%
    Awakening Skills Are Over Powered ( do not compare with unawk classes )
    56.25%
    High Ping (distance from server)
    12.50%
    Low Ping, experience too many bugs
    12.50%
    other (explain in post)
    6.25%
    Last edited by ZepIic; 01-15-2017, 07:23 AM.
    6 Year Veteran & Community Leader
    -------------------------------------------------

"
    Being skilled isn't all that it's made out to be. When you're strong, you become arrogant and withdrawn. Even if what you sought after was your dream." - Zhi Guan

Official DN+ Youtube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCes...rh93rWGd2kiLfg

Paladin PVP Builds:
    http://forum.dragonnest.com/forum/cl...din-pvp-builds

Feel Free to drop a PM anytime
    Discord: Zeplic#8241

I started in 80 cap so that whole cap was a learning experience, wasn't really able to take advantage of clerics bein a good tier that cap

90 cap was hell, i have all 4 clerics and every single cleric was just hell to play on, sader performed the best but imo smite iex was not as faceroll as ppl made it out to be so all 4 clerics sucked to me

93 pre awake cap was good for priests, still sucked for paladins

93 post awakening every cleric is a monster until nerfs, but even with the nerfs i think paladin will be mid to top tier depending on how familiar u are with the class, as for priests... Rip lol. I gotta see how well we can do in every section of pvp, but that 20% chain lightning proc rate is a serious blow to priests

Comment

• ZepIic
      ZepIic commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree, in EQ smite EXi has always been extremely over rated

If I have to choose from the poll I gotta say awakening skills are kinda dumb. Even looking at my own classes...I wanted more utility on moonlord, got it, now it's just no fun playing it anymore. I feel like your 50 cap crusader. I could already one shot people but now I have the utility to do it consistently LOL.

SORC is just a hot mess right now. There's no question as to why they were top 3 in ladder for a while. (I guess that Heavencent guy is up there now). People with zero knowledge of 1v1 and stupid op gear got even further multiplied by kits with way too much inescapable cc and next to no counter play. I was all for losing to Eiyra since his punish game was immaculate and he was pretty much the only one doing it, but let's be honest most of the sorcs winning now have no idea how to play their class to full potential. AND IT DOESN'T EVEN MATTER.

I'm usually very passionate about balance. I knew pre-nerf Awakened Sniper was easily a top-tier from the first round I played against one (thank god for nerf). I know for a fact that Paladins have reclaimed their former glory (and new-found glory in Priests). Sure, T3 40 cap and 50 cap was all about 2-3 shotting people...but now we have more HP and classes that can one shot with no chance of escape. AWK Contagion? A bloody mess for low para-resist classes. IW nado? Why is this grounded AND lift? Chaos Mage? Venomist is good, but he can literally kite for Crush the whole game and put 30 orbs up my ass (I'm actually fine with CM balance). I just really wish the devs played their own game sometimes.

All in all, PvP is what keeps me coming back to this silly game. I'll be the first to admit I've tried quitting only to reinstall just to play a couple of 1v1s. The fluidity of this game is unparalleled in the current MMO market and it'll probably be like that for a while. It must be that good if I keep coming back despite how shitty I think the game is.
    ~1v1 PvP extraordinaire~
    Kris - 93 Moonlord

Grades - 93 Gladiator
    ~head honcho of the triumphantgoose~
    twitch
    contact@discord:notkris#3274

Comment

• ZepIic
      ZepIic commented
      Editing a comment
      it just wouldn't be the same without you mang

TLDR
    i honestly don't even know why anyone waste their time....

Ziploc is obvious virgin

Comment

Working...
    X