Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Light of Recent Events (lootboxes controversy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Light of Recent Events (lootboxes controversy)

So now that the European Union, the United Kingdom, Australia and several states of the United States basically have lootboxes and other forms of in-game gambling under the radar what do you think the future holds for us?

The story so far: Australia has in fact declared gacha boxes do fall under the Victorian Legislation and are working to take action. Hawaii has declared that legislators from several parts of the United States are working on laws to put in place in 2018. In Belgium, the Minister of Justice has warned that these types of ingame purchases will be banned from the European Union. So basically DN NA and DN EU should remove gacha if they want to continue the service.
    Last edited by Chocorroles; 11-22-2017, 10:16 PM.

This is SEA forums by the way

Comment

• Chocorroles
      Chocorroles commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes and? You know this is slowly becoming a worldwide trend topic?

• Meatball29
      Meatball29 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea its SEA means there is a high chance Countries in SEA will follow these countries. No gacha, more In game item purchase,No more gamble/no more RNG. so I think its a good thing

• YukiOnna
      YukiOnna commented
      Editing a comment
      'globalisation' - things that happen in other region will affect this region

They will need to come up with a new solution for milking the players then.

Comment

Originally posted by ErebusRex View Post
      They will need to come up with a new solution for milking the players then.
      Had you heard about EA the legend?
      "Internet is full of trolls and idiots."
      - Albert Einstein

Mail me gold to IGN: Scimitarry

Comment

A way to circumvent that ban on gambling will be to add an unlimited retry function into lootboxes, and introduce tiered lootboxes with different success rates. Or simply change lootboxes into a ticket for a simple minigame that you can retry until you "earn" the reward you want.

Comment

• Kuru
          Kuru commented
          Editing a comment
          It's still gambling... to risk your own money in a game of chance for possible return is gambling. The problem is inherit with how lootboxes function, they're essentially dumber and more simple slot machines.

Or you know instead of the gacha boxes, they should add the items directly into the cash shop. I'm looking at you mahical synthesis devices!

Comment

Chocorroles can you share some resource articles? I am kinda curious about the topic like to go deeper, just dunno what to search. TIA~!
          Lorallite (Windwalker)

Comment

Originally posted by nvLite View Post
            Chocorroles can you share some resource articles? I am kinda curious about the topic like to go deeper, just dunno what to search. TIA~!
            Because this is something ongoing, Belgium changed their statement today but not so much.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/11/22/belgiu...x-ban-7099044/
            https://thenextweb.com/gaming/2017/1...oxes-gambling/
            http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/ne...s-video-games/
            http://www.pcgamer.com/australian-ga...al-definition/

Comment

You guys take this game too seriously lol.....

They appeared, gleaming and victorious. Our Emperors, breathless, bathed you in savior's silk. Then came the sound. Across all our worlds,the ceremonial Naga drums. Ten solemn beats to declare the suffering was over. With each beat terror began to crush my throat. They were not stoic and silent. I tried to call out but only a strangled whisper escaped.
              When the ninth beat rang a torrent of blood filled the stadium, loosed by divine blades.The drums,the Empire, fell silent forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Chelly View Post
                You guys take this game too seriously lol.....
                I dont really agree with your statement. Apologies. Im keen to see this discussion not because the game, but on how the changing legislation might impact gaming world in the future. As you know most online game has "gambling" function such as gacha, cache boxes. This might became a big thing sooner or later.

Comment

• Chelly
                  Chelly commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I understand, i actually read the article and in my point of view, it seemed only like the western countries are affected.
                  From experiences, chinese / korean games are very popular with loot boxes, with almost 90% of mmorpg or ANY forms of games have this gacha system, so i believe it's pretty tough to demolish this.
                  Anyway just my two cents, let me gtfo out of here.

• ErebusRex
                  ErebusRex commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Understandable. Just as the TS mention, it might start from EU, but it might impact and affect other region as it is like allowing underage gambling. They wont demolish it, they will find a loophole in it. 2 cents make a whole dollar. Opinion is an opinion.

• Chocorroles
                  Chocorroles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Chelly and ironically gambling is outlawed in those contries with a few exceptions like horse racing. In recent years they already put in place laws to regulate in-game gambling, like Japanese games now having to show the % chance of winning all items inside. Thanks to Blizzard's fuck up we will probably see this expanded further.
              Working...
              X