Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you usually post a gif, video etc in this DN forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you usually post a gif, video etc in this DN forum?

It is quite embarassing, but I'm regretful to say that I don't have much experience with HTML code to do those things properly.

Would anyone be so kind as to show me their examples? Perhaps a quick demonstration/tutorial to make a simple post with gif, video, spoiler tag and enlarged image?

For videos, use [video.] url [/video.] but ensure that the https is converted to http for youtube videos

For images, all kinds, use [img.] url [/img.] - usually the link should end with the image format such as .gif or .jpeg for it display clearly. if not, it will not appear at all.

(Please remove the dot ( . ) from the above codes. They are placed there just to show the code, as without the dots, the post will read the code and attempt to insert an image)
    Last edited by Xenocho; 04-11-2018, 07:07 AM. Reason: For clarification
    Remmystarr from Eden (Discord: Xenocho #8012)
    Please try to read my guide before asking questions on gear optimisation here;
    Old and outdated Engineer guide here; Selling FDN service for FDN weaps (Read here!);

Comment

• Xenocho
      Xenocho commented
      Editing a comment
      png format is working just fine too

• Mr.Shovels
      Mr.Shovels commented
      Editing a comment
      how come its a bit blurred...? well i did try another method and i wasn't using the HTML codes to post pictures as i was creating a thread topic... thanks for the tip! this would help me whenever i try to post guides in the future if i have the time to compile all the images i need and information since it takes so much time to do so when uploading a picture on this forum...

• NearLawlet
      NearLawlet commented
      Editing a comment

Edit 1: Nevermind, I finally got it. My earlier mistakes were because I put the dot and space on the HTML codes.

Edit 2: Earlier before this, I forgot to remove the link on my post before editing it. I intend to remove it after the post got approved, so my apologies for increasing your notification.
      Last edited by NearLawlet; 04-11-2018, 01:12 AM.

For image, you can also use the upload attachments feature.
    You can choose to upload from your local drive or from URL.
    It will give you option for various sizes from thumbnail, small, medium, large and fullsize.
    Play around with it.
    Only works for a new post/replies though, the [img.] url [/img.] way works for comments if you want to insert image when replying through comments.

Comment

• Knee
      Knee commented
      Editing a comment
      The dots and spaces are there so that the code is not functional and can be used as example.
      You shouldn't have it in your real code.

• Mr.Shovels
      Mr.Shovels commented
      Editing a comment
      oh is that so

• Xenocho
      Xenocho commented
      Editing a comment
      Correct. Pardon my assumption for that. I was supposed to add it in

This is my 277th post in this forum and I think more than 40% of them have image / video attachments. XD

Here's how I upload my images.

Step 3. Image Property Box
    This is an example of image with caption

URL:
    This is where you copy-paste the URL of your image (You either upload your image to an image-hosting site or get the URL of any image in the internet (right-click > Copy Image Address).
    My prefer image hosting sites are postimage and imgbb. They support very large image uploads (e.g. gacha content which is verrryy looooongg) and maintain original image size (no auto resize).
    Avoid using URL from Facebook (the image url expires after some time and the image won't appear anymore)

Retrieve remote file and reference locally:
    If this is checked, your image will be automatically uploaded to this forum site and will be hosted locally.
    iirc, this has size limitation so if you have a large image, better un-check it.

NOTE: Items below are optional and can leave them as default/blank.

Title (Tooltip):
    You can add a message which appears when user hover their mouse cursor to your image. I use this to add description to my icons/links so users will know what to see / where to go before clicking the icon / link.

Description (Alt):
    The alt attribute provides an alternate text for an image, if the user for some reason cannot view it (because of slow connection or an error in the src attribute).

Style:
    -

Size. Full Size or Custom

Width. Width of your image.
    Height. Height of your image.

Lock Ratio. If this is set to "Lock", your image will maintain its shape and proportion. If you change one dimension (height or width) of your image, the other dimension will automatically be changed as well.
    If it set to "Unlock", you can freely change either the width or height of your image and the other dimension won't change.

Reset Image Size. Reset your image to its original size.

Alignment. (None, Left, Center, Right)
    Set your image position. Default is left aligned.

Link Type. (Default, URL , None)

Link URL.
    A web address where you can redirect the users when they click your image. I usually use this feature to redirect the users to a larger size image ( I use thumbnails or icons in my post)

Link Target.
    SameWindow_self ( the Link URL will open on the same tab/window as your image. Users have to press "Back" to return to the page)
    NewWindow_blank. ( the Link URL will open on a new/separate tab. This is more convenient imo because users don't have to press "Back")

Captioned Image. Allows user to add caption at the bottom of the image. (Note that you cannot change the font size or font style of the caption).

Here's how I post videos.

These features helped me a lot in creating my image-filled guides.
    If you wanna see them, kindly check my siggie and click the links.
    Last edited by BabyKuri; 04-12-2018, 02:21 AM.

Comment

• BabyKuri
      BabyKuri commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm, I think that was way back in CC forums. YT videos with https won't appear/play unless you remove the "s" and make it http only.
      (It has something to do with the Security Certificate or something.)

It seems that this forum allows https in YT links so no need to change.

• Mr.Shovels
      Mr.Shovels commented
      Editing a comment
      i have made my guideline for crystal points and beggar boxes with the same method of uploading the pictures instead of putting in html codes to put images on my posts, its more assuring and you know it will work and you can crop out the images if its too large

• NearLawlet
      NearLawlet commented
      Editing a comment
      With the amount of information you have, as well as your experience, you could probably make a guide on How to Make a Guide.
Working...
X